Elbow and REM new releases

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Am absolutely loving 'Build A Rocket Boys!' by Elbow - Simple songs full of emotion and depth, has replaced Bright Eyes 'The Peoples Key' as my fave new release.

Cant agree with the 5* review in this months magazine for REM's 'Collapse Into Now' though - Nothing wrong with it...just its well another good, not great REM record, of which I've got loads already if you know what I mean. Not really sure what else I was expecting, maybe they've just run their course for me anyhow, maybe it'll grow on me.

Be interested to hear what other people think?

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
BillDay66:

Am absolutely loving 'Build A Rocket Boys!' by Elbow - Simple songs full of emotion and depth, has replaced Bright Eyes 'The Peoples Key' as my fave new release.

Cant agree with the 5* review in this months magazine for REM's 'Collapse Into Now' though - Nothing wrong with it...just its well another good, not great REM record, of which I've got loads already if you know what I mean. Not really sure what else I was expecting, maybe they've just run their course for me anyhow, maybe it'll grow on me.

Be interested to hear what other people think?

Have to agree with you on both counts...the new Elbow album is getting regular airplay here at home and is as good if not better than any of the their previous albums (except The Seldom Seen Kid which is hard to beat0. The REM album, on the other hand, has been given a brief audition, and apart from a couple of the slower tracks that I liked, it's fairly predictable and typical REM stuff that hasn't really made an impact at all.

The Sunday Times gave REM 2 stars and Elbow only 3, and although I agree with the 2 star review, I would have thought that the 3 stars were a bit harsh, especially in light of the fact that Noah & The Whale gets the full 5 star CD of the week treatment !!!

Maybe it's time for me to start looking elsewhere for my music reviews (still think Q magazine is the definitive review measure tho)

As I posted eslewhere, Elbow has even pushed Radiohead off the top of my playlist lately, and that's saying something for me anyway...
emotion-21.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Think that Build A Rocket Boys! is an excellent album, but IMHO the recording (CD) has significantly less dynamic range compared to The Seldom Seen Kid. Also seems that Elbow has dropped its allegiance to the Turn Me Up!™ campaign.

Currently listening to REM's Collapse Into Now on Spotify, enjoying it very much, sounds fresh 'n' feisty, so far...

matthewpiano

First REM album I've liked for a long time. Some really good moments on it. Not a classic but a very competent and enjoyable piece of work nevertheless.

Not heard the Elbow, but not a huge fan of their previous stuff.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:Think that Build A Rocket Boys! is an excellent album, but IMHO the recording (CD) has significantly less dynamic range compared to The Seldom Seen Kid. Also seems that Elbow has dropped its allegiance to the Turn Me Up!™ campaign.

I think it was mixed or produced by one of the band members, the same guy at least partially responsible for butchering the sound of the Abbey Road concert performance of The Seldom Seen Kid, I was so disappointed with that, having watched it on the red button.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
6th.replicant: Currently listening to REM's Collapse Into Now on Spotify, enjoying it very much, sounds fresh 'n' feisty, so far...

Thanks for the spotify info
emotion-21.gif
Had assumed neither would be available, so nice one to REM for putting it straight out on spotify (not so Elbow...) Same view as you thus far
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Ben - If you are suggesting you can't find it,the Elbow album is on Spotify. Search under 'Build a Rocket Boys' rather than Elbow. For some reason it doesn't appear for me under artist search. Spotify's indexing and general updating does seem pretty poor. Napster is miles better (but bitrate compromised...)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ash4324:Ben - If you are suggesting you can't find it,the Elbow album is on Spotify. Search under 'Build a Rocket Boys' rather than Elbow. For some reason it doesn't appear for me under artist search. Spotify's indexing and general updating does seem pretty poor. Napster is miles better (but bitrate compromised...)

Brilliant ash, thanks!
emotion-2.gif
I'm new to spotify and sonos - overall ease of use is brilliant but the searching is incredibly poor compared to Amazon or Play, if I were looking to buy a CD. Early start tomorrow so I can't listen to it all tonight but will do soon - thanks again!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Havent heard the Elbow but so far the REM is lacklustre for me, with the exception of a couple of the faster tracks that recall Accelerate.

Even they are'nt saying where theyre going next. Their record contract with Warners is finished, and the're adopting a "we can do anything we want, or indeed nothing" approach right now.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc said:
6th.replicant:Think that Build A Rocket Boys! is an excellent album, but IMHO the recording (CD) has significantly less dynamic range compared to The Seldom Seen Kid. Also seems that Elbow has dropped its allegiance to the Turn Me Up!™ campaign.

I think it was mixed or produced by one of the band members, the same guy at least partially responsible for butchering the sound of the Abbey Road concert performance of The Seldom Seen Kid, I was so disappointed with that, having watched it on the red button.

Good point, but both BARB! and TSSK are produced and mixed by the band's keyboard player, Craig Potter, and mastered by Tim Young :puzzled:

Even more curious is that Young and Potter, with Guy Garvey, also twiddled the knobs on I Am Kloot's Sky At Night (2010), which, IMHO, shares TSSK's 'airy' sound and heeooge dynamic range. Hmm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts