admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
How do I educate my wife about the world of hifi?

I want her to realise that it is physically impossible for an all in one to sound as good as a seperates system. She thinks that one day an all in one will sound as good if not better than sepaerates sound today. Now she may be right!!!! Who would have thought phones would be as small as they are today 20 years ago.

I also want to educate her on how hifi works/sounds. Is there anything she should read? My system for her to listen to comprises of an NAD 310 amp, cambridge audio d300 cd player, aiwa ad-wx737 tape deck and mission 701 speakers.

Need your help (then I can spend more and upgrade!!!)

A

Anonymous

get a really rubbish all in one and make her listten to her favorite record then play it on your hi-fi then take her with you to a demo and a gain play her record on somthing very expensive ......

A

Anonymous

sex is right.take her to a demo and do the pepsi challenge. She might understand then. My mates girlfriend is italian and for her style is v important and she is not keen on the look of separates.Even she, however ,really appreciated the sound from his separates system compared to his old all in one.He has just switched to a teac mini separates system which has the looks and nearly as good sound as full size separates.

A

Anonymous

Maybe you can describe the difference of all in one and separates in this way. All in one HiFi is just like a Sandwich or Burger. They just put all the ingredients together, although you can fill the stomach but you can never taste the real taste of each ingredients, it can only solve a man basic need. However, separates is a square meal, that you can enjoy it.

A

Anonymous

I would love to assist you in that challenge a couple of yours ago, but now ..... I have to admit ....I'm not that sure separates is absolutely necessary to achieve good sound. Read this thread with comment from Andrew about the MF all-in-one package: MF KW250S (http://whathifi.com/forums/t/4931.aspx) What about the naim N-vi? Avi ADM9 plus mac mini all-in-white? (sorry for the pun) Last one got some great reviews from owners and Hifi choice.

A

Anonymous

Linn Klassic is an all in one system which is a match for a good cd and amp separates combo. Arcam do an all in one but it sounds duff to me.

A

Anonymous

brendanm,
I agree with your wife that someday one box systems may be able to exceed the performance of today's many mid priced separates system. The reason being miniaturization and advances in technology. But a one box system will never be able to exceed the performance of a truely hi-end separates system in very near future.
Solomon's post is in the right direction.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Solomon1"]I would love to assist you in that challenge a couple of yours ago, but now ..... I have to admit ....I'm not that sure separates is absolutely necessary to achieve good sound. Read this thread with comment from Andrew about the MF all-in-one package: MF KW250S (http://whathifi.com/forums/t/4931.aspx) What about the naim N-vi? Avi ADM9 plus mac mini all-in-white? (sorry for the pun) Last one got some great reviews from owners and Hifi choice.[/quote]

true.....but the price of those high level all in one systems is two to three times what most people on here can afford as ive noticed that most on here are at the Onkyo 605 or cambridge 640 or Nad level and that step up to Mf kw or Naim is HUGE plus you would need to substantially upgrade your speakers to appreciate the higher electronics..Good idea but its expensive....

matthewpiano

I am sure that products such as the MF KW250S are wonderful, and if I had that kind of money I would certainly give it serious consideration. However, most of us can't afford that kind of product and realise that in the more affordable hi-fi arena, well matched and properly set-up seperates nearly always outperform an equivalent all in one. Certainly the step up from the many decent micro units from the likes of Onkyo and Denon to budget seperates brings a vast improvement in sound quality and, right up to a system of the Naim Nait 5i/CD5i level, the benefits of a well structured upgrade plan are easy to hear. The ability to upgrade in stages is one of the great beauties of running seperates. Instead of building further on what you have, with all-in-one systems you have to start from scratch every time.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matthewpiano"]I am sure that products such as the MF KW250S are wonderful, and if I had that kind of money I would certainly give it serious consideration. However, most of us can't afford that kind of product and realise that in the more affordable hi-fi arena, well matched and properly set-up seperates nearly always outperform an equivalent all in one. Certainly the step up from the many decent micro units from the likes of Onkyo and Denon to budget seperates brings a vast improvement in sound quality[/quote]Very true. My point was much has changed in the last years of hifi.[quote user="matthewpiano"]The ability to upgrade in stages is one of the great beauties of running seperates. Instead of building further on what you have, with all-in-one systems you have to start from scratch every time.[/quote]I'm not so sure I share that sentiment, but I do get what you mean, since I own separates myself. I also think it's a curse to know you could get much better sound....and you could end up spending a lot on upgrading again and again just because certain separates don't work to well together. To make a long story short: it's all my personal opinion and experience. Women usually like the idea of one box because it's stylish and uncluttered. To keep them and us happy, hifi all-in-one is a godsend solution! My next audition will be AVI ADM9 with a mac mini (or mac pro as I don't own a mini yet).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts