eBay winner

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:I think you misunderstand (plus I didn't say those words). I meant that an amp needs to be able to drive your speakers perfectly. That's what it's purpose is. If you drive them with an amp that doesn't have compete control, you add colour. If the amp is fit for the purpose of driving the speakers as intended, job done. Active speakers will have amps fit for purpose. Once a speaker is being driven perfectly then the limitation is on the source and speakers, eg the component quality, etc.

You are still saying that if this amp pack is fit for purpose then it can't be bettered. That's not true. As I said a piece of cheddar is fit for purpose but that doesn't mean a different piece of cheddar isn't going to be better, one with better ingredients.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
He made a better point than that.

Comparing a Pure DAB Radio with custom built amp modules by the likes of PMC (Bryston) or AVI is a little mischievous.

You might have noted that 'Igglebert' enjoys an AVI amplifier product in his own set-up before you wrote your 'cheap amp box' comment
emotion-1.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:JoelSim:chebby:
igglebert:Eh?

He's having a pop at our friend from another thread today. The one who enjoys AVI N5s with AVI amp packs and a MacBook.

Only in that he stated 'an amp just has to be fit for purpose', which is a ridiculous statement. And Iggle agreed. I should send the Tucana back then, put a few quid back in the bank and use the amp off my Pure DAB radio as that is fit for purpose.

Talk about missing the point.

Read the bloke's post Iggle - the key word in it is 'just', as if an amp is an amp is an amp. And that he should sell his expensive amplification and buy some much cheaper actives as they will sound much better.

A

Anonymous

If the amp pack drives the speakers perfectly then yes, nothing will improve on it. I actually have made no reference to any amp packs and I am using the term ( since you insist on it's use) 'fit for purpose' to mean driving the speakers perfectly. An amp and speaker pairing is an electronic equation to solve, and if money is no object you will have an amp to drive a speaker perfectly. What I haven't said is that if an amp makes the speaker produce music then that's it, no improvement to be made.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:If the amp pack drives the speakers perfectly then yes, nothing will improve on it. I actually have made no reference to any amp packs and I am using the term ( since you insist on it's use) 'fit for purpose' to mean driving the speakers perfectly. An amp and speaker pairing is an electronic equation to solve, and if money is no object you will have an amp to drive a speaker perfectly. What I haven't said is that if an amp makes the speaker produce music then that's it, no improvement to be made.

Exactly. Read the bloke's post.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
Yep looking forward to it. Not told the missus yet tho'.

Fortunately mine doesn't usually notice if I sneak in new purchases into the room when she's out. And if she does notice, the standard answer is that it's a loan unit from the dealer. After a while, her eyes get accustomed to the item being there and she forgets that it was supposed to be a loaner.

Try it, it works for me.... But if it doesn't, I hold no responsibility for any grevious bodily harm suffered.

hifikrazy:JoelSim:

Fortunately mine doesn't usually notice if I sneak in new purchases into the room when she's out. And if she does notice, the standard answer is that it's a loan unit from the dealer. After a while, her eyes get accustomed to the item being there and she forgets that it was supposed to be a loaner. Try it, it works for me.... But if it doesn't, I hold no responsibility for any grevious bodily harm suffered.

Yes. The idea is to upgrade to something that looks vaguely similar to the departing piece of equipment and hope missus doesn't notice.

It would appear JoelSim has slipped up slightly in this upgrade! Enjoy it Joel (flowers and chocolates are cheap in comparison!)

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Alears:hifikrazy:JoelSim:

Fortunately mine doesn't usually notice if I sneak in new purchases into the room when she's out. And if she does notice, the standard answer is that it's a loan unit from the dealer. After a while, her eyes get accustomed to the item being there and she forgets that it was supposed to be a loaner. Try it, it works for me.... But if it doesn't, I hold no responsibility for any grevious bodily harm suffered.

Yes. The idea is to upgrade to something that looks vaguely similar to the departing piece of equipment and hope missus doesn't notice.

...Hence why 15 months on, my Wife still doesn't know that the CD72T I bought 8 years ago, has miraculously changed into a CD192.
emotion-8.gif

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Dim lights also help. Luckily my hifi system shares the same room as my HT system, so I can use the help of darkness to obscure the fact that my silver coloured top loading Rega Apollo transformed into a black front loading Naim CD player 2 months ago.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
hifikrazy:JoelSim:

Fortunately mine doesn't usually notice if I sneak in new purchases into the room when she's out. And if she does notice, the standard answer is that it's a loan unit from the dealer. After a while, her eyes get accustomed to the item being there and she forgets that it was supposed to be a loaner.

Try it, it works for me.... But if it doesn't, I hold no responsibility for any grevious bodily harm suffered.

Ahhhh, but my current Roksan amps are a genuine loan so I'm snookered. And she is hi-fi literate. And I'm a terrible liar. And I'm a drama teacher. And therefore a terrible one.

Better buy some expensive amps to cheer myself up!!

Big Chris:Alears:hifikrazy:JoelSim:

...Hence why 15 months on, my Wife still doesn't know that the CD72T I bought 8 years ago, has miraculously changed into a CD192.
emotion-8.gif

Why do you think I'm keeping my CD73?

BTW she does now...
emotion-1.gif

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:

And I'm a drama teacher.

Having watched the typical "let's crash to the ground with intense agony on my face when I'm nudged by another player" replayed in slow motion for the past one month, I wish football teams would get some professional coaching from those in your profession. Better still they should just grow a pair of #@%&*.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Well done Joel - this has been quite a journey and i have followed your upgrade path with great interest.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the Leema as its on my future trial list. We must have similar product tastes as i also like products from Kudos and Unison Research.

Fortuntely my Arcams are doing an outstanding job with my new cabling so its reducing my desire to change at the moment.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:

I am now the proud owner of a Leema Tucana II, 10 months old, purchased on eBay for £1,550.07.

Now all I need to do is break the news to the missus.

I think that's a bit of a bargain myself.

do you think your trip to what hifi towers has anything to do with your latest upgrade after i visited within a month i had a new projector and i think after seeing there test labs had a direct link to me splashing out

be warned anyone visiting what hifi it could be an expensive trip
emotion-5.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The Leema has landed, now I need to tell the missus ahead of taking it home on Tuesday.

It's absolutely immaculate and will look good with my Unico, let's hope it sounds as good too.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Big Chris:Alears:hifikrazy:JoelSim:

He He works for me (he says touching wood)

emotion-8.gif

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
After nearly 40 years of box swapping swmbo has finally given up and just accepts it.

Is that a new bit of kit dear as the DHL driver disappears into the distance.

It does help that she appreciates good sounds and is quite open when the latest addition sounds totally carp.
emotion-21.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
seasiders rock:

emotion-11.gif
After nearly 40 years of box swapping swmbo has finally given up and just accepts it.

Is that a new bit of kit dear as the DHL driver disappears into the distance.

It does help that she appreciates good sounds and is quite open when the latest addition sounds totally carp.
emotion-21.gif

Lucky buzzard.

TRENDING THREADS