DVD Test Express Page 82 & 83 Dec 07 issue WHFIS&V

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Clare/Andrew, when you guys and gals at WHFIS&V recently carried out the Group Test between the Cambridge Azur 540 DV2, Marantz DV6001, Onkyo DV-SP504 and Denon DVD-1940 did your reviewers base the review of the DENON DVD 1940 solely on it's 1080p Uscaling ablities or can we take it that the good picture quality to which they refer is, not least, also attributed to its 720p and 1080i abilities as they would have only have been able to test both the Cambridge and Onkyo upto their max upscaling of 720p/1081i

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Quite so, Andrew. We test ALL aspects of a player's functionality, whether it be 1080i, 720p or 1080p (and also of course playing DVDs at standard resolution).

A

Anonymous

Hang on Andrew and Andy -Rest assured I wasn't trying to be difficult here. Reading the synopsis and eulogy of the Denon DVD 1940 it's clear that all references to it's performance do appear to concentrate on it's ability to display at 1080p, whereas it's also clear from reading the Test that the verdicts on the Cambridge and Onkyo were based on 720p/1080i, quite simply because we know they can't rise to 1080p heights.

All I'm therefore suggesting is that as far the Denon and Marantz were concerned, some kind of reference could have specifically been made to their 702p/1081i capabilities before the final verdict was given.

This would then allow us peasants who only have an HD ready TV @720/768 resolutions and not a Full HDVT, to perhaps conclude whether or not say either the Cambridge or the Onkyo for example would suit our purposes better than the Denon given also that these two players ( including the Marantz of course) are reputed to be sonically better than the Denon.

I just feel that when it comes to Testing ( and I am no Technician) given what normal Joe Bloggs wants to know in the High street is how good are these on the following fronts:

720p 1080i 1080p SS 5.1 or 7.1 CD Sound Features Ease of use Verdict

Denon

Cambridge

Onkyo

Marantz

Perhaps it's just me, but I dare say most consumers would prefer to have all their 'Ducks in a Row'

PS: Can't help but feeling that Andrew will respond with the name of a good psychologist though! Must confess, I would prefer a 'Night Nurse' if that could be arranged instead?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts