Dust;To Dust?

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
of late my cd player -a marantz cd5001 - just allows 01 second to load the disc before the disc tray retracts.

what could the cause be? must confess that there is a heavy chance of my components being affected by dust though i keep it covered with cloth when not in use. the case fyi has no ventilator / grills

since the amp- a pm6002- has ventilators, i reckon has more chanced of swallowing dust than the cdp. What preventive maintenance can i benefit from ? should such components be taken for periodic maintence to the dealer where accumulated dust is removed from the inside?

look forward to hear from you.

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
It seems very unlikely that dust would cause the CDP to behave badly.. On the topic of dust, I have never really had a problem with it (I have the PM6002 too) but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to clean the thing out if it is in a particularly dusty area. I wouldn't imagine such a service would be needed more than once every few years (of course, dependant on how dusty your use is etc). Cleaning it out would probably improve airflow and keep the amp running slightly cooler, but beyond that I'm not sure what other benefits there would be.

As for your CDP, is it still under warranty? Try contacting who you bought it from, they may be more able to help.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It is nothing to do with dust! Most CD drawers have a microswitch release built into them. This is so you can 'push' the drawer shut, and it will automatically close, rather than using the open/close button. Somewhere on the machine there are two copper contacts, when you push the drawer these contacts come together and the drawer closes. Unfortunately if you do that too much the contacts become permanently pushed together and this is why the drawer closes before you have a chance to put a disk in. Take a close look around the drawer mechanism, you may have to remove the top cover (disconnect from mains, etc). Once located, you gently bend the contacts apart with a small screwdriver, and be careful not to break it.

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your valuable comments. I met the dealer who advised me that he'd take a look and it appears something minor. he also advise me against meddling with the amplifier if it has not given a problem so far. hopefully this would be set right in a week.

thanks again

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your valuable comments. I met the dealer who advised me that he'd take a look and it appears something minor. he also advise me against meddling with the amplifier if it has not given a problem so far. hopefully this would be set right in a week.

thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts