Dummies Guide to Setting-Up NAS for Streaming?

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Hi all. Does anyone have a guide to set-up a NAS for streaming music ripped from CD?

I have a WD MyCloud NAS at home mostly for backing up smartphone images and a laptop or two, but mostly unused. I thought I'd experiment with some ripping and streaming since I had the resource already. However, it is far from straightforward. I've done the usual web search for guides and some make no sense at all as they are pretty specific to that NAS and software rather than a general guide and specifically a WD MyCloud guide.

I can see the NAS from my PC. I can see the "public" folder. I've made a "Music" folder within that and have loaded a few CD's ripped to Flac into that folder. And here I have ground to a halt. I have something called Twonky installed, but this seems to freeze/stall when looking at the share. And I really don't know what I am doing.

Anyone able to help?

The only article I recall was penned by Andrew Everard. He used to write for WHF and now Hifi News. He is also audio editor at Gramophone.

It was there that he wrote this now deleted article. Here is a link to the web pages archived.

I‘m sure there is something more recent somewhere. But were I looking to rip my own CD or buy downloads I’d look at the Innuos Zen Mini series. Only because I have a dislike of PCs in my listening room!

nads

Much of it does depend on how and what you plan to use.

rip the tunes in the format you want. Store on the NAS in the file format and position as required by your playback device.

simples.

Gray

Read again what the OP has done and it obviously isn't that simple.
Unless Twonky is playing up and something better is required.....
Yes, they're all very clever, but anything to do with computers....not always simple.

I've seen some of the greatest experts in action.
Lost count of the times that I've heard comments along the lines of, "Strange, it shouldn't be doing that".

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
The Andrew Everard article is still on this site

There used to be some very helpful videos on the site but can't see them.

Might be worth a search of Youtube or even WDs own site for info

Reactions: nopiano

Vincent Kars

A NAS doesn't exist, it is a concept.
You have very likely added a Linux vox to your network. Fortunately today they come with a web interface shielding you from hardcore Linux.

An obvious first is you have to create users and shares to make this box accessibel to WIndow boxes or Mac's in the network. As you have added some files, obvious this works.

Looks like Twonky is the default DLNA media server.
To get it to work it must index the audio files.
So you must configure it (point to the share where the audio files reside)
As it is a share, you must also check if it has the right to Read this share.
If Twonky runs as Admin, Admin must have Read acces to the share.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
My reason for trying this is because I'm still currently using an old Technics SL-PG570A CD player with my new Marantz PM7000n amp and Dali speakers. I'm liking the streaming from Amazon Music but I am thinking of upgrading to a Marantz CD6007 player. However whilst saving I thought I'd try to see what the difference between streaming and FLAC ripped CD's as the ripped FLAC files through the Marantz DAC 'should' be similar to that from the CD6007? These should be truer to life than an over-engineered and somewhat compressed file on Amazon's Cloud?

Since I have a NAS and the associated equipment then this exercis should cost me nothing. But it seems it might cost me life expectancy and hair though I've precious little of that left to lose.

It seems using the popular web search engine leads one down a myriad of rabbit holes resulting in spats on forums on what settings you shouldn't use or why orange socks are better than red... It's driving me nuts.

nads

Read again what the OP has done and it obviously isn't that simple.
Unless Twonky is playing up and something better is required.....
Yep. Over my head. It’s PC playback not using a streamer. no idea what twonkey is or how one would use it. Can media player play it? Media Monkey? VLC? I tunes? If they work fine then it’s RTM time for me. ;)

The Andrew Everard article is still on this site

There used to be some very helpful videos on the site but can't see them.

Might be worth a search of Youtube or even WDs own site for info
Brilliant. It didn’t occur to me to check here, though now you mention it, I may have seen it before. He obviously got paid twice for that one! Shhh!

Last edited:

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Windows, Mac & Linux have there own streaming players built in, so just use what came with the OS, or if you want something not tied to an OS then VLC is the way to go.

Bill

I'm not streaming from a computer. I'm streaming from a NAS hence the Twonky Media Server that is the recommended app on a WD NAS.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Long story short - I did the classic and "have you turned it off and on again?"

Did that and after 30-40 minutes of rescanning the drive it has all become clear. Twonky works and shows the shares and the MUSIC folder shows in HEOS, along with all the audio backed up from my phone(s).

It works a charm. There was nothing to it. When it works!

Thanks for the help. You can all sleep easy now :giggle:

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Long story short - I did the classic and "have you turned it off and on again?"

Did that and after 30-40 minutes of rescanning the drive it has all become clear. Twonky works and shows the shares and the MUSIC folder shows in HEOS, along with all the audio backed up from my phone(s).

It works a charm. There was nothing to it. When it works!

Thanks for the help. You can all sleep easy now :giggle:

That can't be right?

Vincent Kars said a NAS doesn't exist?

Of course he may not know his rse from his elbow...

Reactions: Nico69 and jjbomber

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
I've been experimenting today with ripping some CDs to FLAC using EAC (exact audio copy) software on my PC then hosting the files on my NAS. I must say the results are pretty amazing. The sound is much bigger/fuller/more detailed than my old Technics CD player. So, yes an upgrade is required. Will I be ripping all my cds? No. Its too time consuming as EAC is very very slow as it does a lot of error checking and correction.
Good to experiment though.

michael hoy

I've been experimenting today with ripping some CDs to FLAC using EAC (exact audio copy) software on my PC then hosting the files on my NAS. I must say the results are pretty amazing. The sound is much bigger/fuller/more detailed than my old Technics CD player. So, yes an upgrade is required. Will I be ripping all my cds? No. Its too time consuming as EAC is very very slow as it does a lot of error checking and correction.
Good to experiment though.
How long per disc did it take. Not used EAC myself, i use dbpoweramp. Times are not excesive.

WayneKerr

About 15-20 mins per CD! It rips them as WAV first then converts and writes them as FLAC after checksums on a database are compared, or so I read. Might try dbpoweramp as a next comparison
You can set-up EAC to rip directly to FLAC if required. Personally I'd persevere with the ripping, say 10-20 every weekend, once you've broken the back of it you'll be glad you did it.

Reactions: Gray and Nico69

WayneKerr

Edit: last cd with 16 tracks took 34 mins!
Must look into settings. Windows Media Player is quick but it also copies skips as I found recently.
Blimey that's a long time, too long! If your CDs are in good nick then EAC is quick, 5-10mins max unless it's performing lots of error-checking, then it does slows down, but this shouldn't happen on every CD.

I take it you've found your CD drive in the library for offset etc.?

Edit: If no joy then consider a different ripping program.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts