DTS's latest feature wants to fix one of our biggest gripes with TVs

podknocker

Getting decent speakers into ever thinner displays is not going to work. Let's just have OLED panels, without tuners or speakers and then people can add their own soundbars, or amps and speakers and feed these panels with the signal of choice. TV aerials and Sky dishes will be gone soon and most people will stream content over WIFI to their panels. I can see this being the default scenario in less than 10 years.

Last edited:
Getting decent speakers into ever thinner displays is not going to work. Let's just have OLED panels, without tuners or speakers ad then people can add their own soundbars, or amps and speakers and feed these panels with the signal of choice. TV aerials and Sky dishes will be gone soon and most people will stream content over WIFI to their panels. I can see this being the default scenario in less than 10 years.
For people who are more bothered about quality than convenience, possibly. But I don't see that being anywhere near a majority, and for those do care, the unbuilt speakers add what I suspect is a tiny sum to the overall cost. It'd be a brave manufacturer that started selling TVs without speakers, I think.

Makes me think of showing my folks the difference between SCART and component leads a good few years ago - they could see a difference in PQ but stuck with SCART as it automatically changed input on the TV. Convenience trumped quality every time.

We have to remember that we are the odd ones out!

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts