Dolby True HD Problem

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I've got a problem with Dolby True HD thats totally got me stumped.

I bought a Panasonic BD35 Blu Ray (mostly to upscale DVD's as I refuse to pay BR disc prices). However, as it comes with 2 free Blu Ray discs, I thought I'd try Blu Ray out. (I might also buy the odd BR disc I see at a bargain price).

I have a Pioneer 428XD Kuro 40" tv and an Onkyo 605 receiver.

The BD35 is connected to the receiver via a QED HDMI-P cable. The Onkyo is connected to the tv via a QED HDMI-P cable. The only other connection is a tv to Onkyo connection via QED optical for normal tv sound.

Now when I play "National Treasure 2" - the disc shows its True HD. The BD35 screen menu shows its outputting True HD.

However, on the Onkyo 605 Display, I just have a Dolby Digital sign lit in red (never seen it light red before).

The disc says it outputs in Dolby True HD or DD +.

On the Onkyo display the "+" sign next to the DD sybol (lit red) is not lit and the "True HD" sign next to that isn't lit either.

So it looks like I'm only getting DD out.

Why?

BTW it sounds much louder than from DVD and quality is fantastic but I want to get True HD!

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
OK solved. I'll post the solution for future reference.

On the Panasonic BD35, you need to go into the audio set up menu and turn Secondary Video Audio which is set to Bitstream by factory default to Off. It should remain off once set.

When its on, it decodes the True HD sound to Bitstream which is then played back by the Onkyo as Dolby Digital. Turning the Bitstream output off, forces the player to output the audio exactly as it is on the disc ie without any additional decoding and this then gives True HD Audio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts