Does the Panasonic TH-42PX70 display at 24fps ?

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I've got a Panasonic TH42PX70 and was always under the impression that it did NOT display at 24fps, but yesterday i was reading some reviews for it which mentioned that it did. One said it displayed 24fps but no sound at the same time !!!

I had a quick look at the What Hi-Fi reviews and the closest review to my model is the TH-42PX80 which does display 24fps.

Had a look at my Blu Ray player (Panasonic BD-30) settings last night and i was unable to set 24fps to ON - the default is OFF and the ON option was 'greyed out', so i'm assuming my tv does not display this format.

Could someone on the forum confirm one way or another, and if my display does display 24fps, then any ideas as to why my blu ray player will not allow me to set this up ?

Thanks for any info.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Last year's '7' Panasonics were capable of accepting a 1080p, 24fps signal, which they then process via 3:2 pulldown, but they're not native 24fps screens. Interesting that the Pana BD player won't feed out to them when a Sony PS3 will! One to pursue with Panasonic....

A

Anonymous

I am pretty sure that the old PX70/PZ70 series of Panasonics DO NOT display 1080p/24fps.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I see your 'pretty sure' and raise you 'we fed them 1080p/24fps content from a PS3 and they showed it, in repeated tests, and live at our Show last November'...
emotion-15.gif

But, as I said, they're not native 24fps....

A

Anonymous

I fold my 7 high hand.

Though I am not sure what you mean by 'not native 24fps' but they display 24fps?

A

Anonymous

Would this explain the judder on my freinds 50PZ70 which I don't get with my 46PZ80?

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Last year's '7' Panasonics were capable of accepting a 1080p, 24fps signal, which they then process via 3:2 pulldown, but they're not native 24fps screens. Interesting that the Pana BD player won't feed out to them when a Sony PS3 will! One to pursue with Panasonic....

The below reply received from Panasonic suggests that the TH-42PX70 does NOT display at 24fps. What Hi-Fi say it does, Panasonic says it doesn't - Can't both be right ???

ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Mr Evans,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry.

In response, I would confirm that unfortunately, the TH42PX70 does not include 24p playback.

I trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us by either emailing us at customer.care@panasonic.co.uk, by fax on 01344 853213, or by telephoning our Customer Care Centre on 0844 844 3852.

Kind regards,
Anthony Clarke
Administrator
Dealer Support / Correspondence Team
Panasonic UK Ltd

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
They've always stuck to this line because it's not a native 24fps set - so it doesn't, strictly speaking, playback at 24fps, just as their reply says. That's different to being able to ACCEPT a 24fps signal, which it can do, then process it to suit its spec.

A

Anonymous

Interesting thread....I have a 42PX700 and have just taken delivery of a Sony bdp 350 blu ray player. Just to try it out I set the output to 1080p/24fps and whilst display is fine I get no audio! Seen this mentioned on other sites too that the PX70 doesn't play audio at 24fps. Strange thing is I tested a PS3 on a 37PX70 at 24fps and that did play audio!

Any ideas?

A

Anonymous

I can confirm that the 42PX70 does show 24fps with minimal judder, but with sme sources (I have Sony S350 Blu ray) there is no sound through TV. This is widely reported and absolutely true.

Resolved by connecting component audio jacks up, set Blu Ray player to component audio, set PX70 HDMI 1 Audio to component (in menu)- viola! Sound through the TV at 1080/24. Took me ages to figure that out so hope it helps someone.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Ive got the panasonic TH-37PX70 am running the sony s550 blu-ray player at 24fps and it looks fine no judder and sound is perfect 5.1. With it turned off there is no obvious difference but i keep it turned on anyway. What problems should i be experiencing if the tv was not compatible?

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
I have the a same sort of setup as you stevee1966 and can't put 24fps on.

panasonic th50px70 / panasonic bd30 / panasonic ex87 / onkyo 606 / kef iQ5se's / kef iQ2c / kef iQ1's on atacama nexus 6 stands / kef 1005's for back surrounds / kef 1000.2 sub.

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Just watched blue planet on blu-ray and the judder on slow pannning shots drives me mad, would this be any better on a different blu-ray player were i can turn on 24fps as i can't on my bd30.

panasonic 50px70 / panasonic bd30 / panasonic ex87 / onkyo 606 / kef iQ5se's / kef iQ2c / kef iQ1's on atacama nexus 6 stands / kef 1005's for back surrounds / kef 1000.2 sub.

A

Anonymous

Oy of Mid World:

I fold my 7 high hand.

Though I am not sure what you mean by 'not native 24fps' but they display 24fps?

To display, means it will show a moving picture frm a 24 fps input.

Not that it displays it 'naturally' it needs to take the 24fps and interpolate the information ( add some frames) to be able to show it.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:, but it also might be down to excessive picture processing, too...

What does this mean?

A

Anonymous

Just come across this and can also confirm that whilst it will accept the signal, it cannot display 24p .. Annoying really as on some scenes it's noticeable.

Best save for a new TV then.

Clare - I'm guessing those new Sony's are among the smoothest you've seen ? Judder really annoys me - something like planet earth, those amazing scenes over the tops of waterfalls, they should be a joy to watch but I can help noticing the juddering. Grrr ....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Remember it's the combination of source and set that contribute to motion issues; i'd also urge auditioning sets before you buy: one man's super-smooth 200Hz set is another man's too-obviously-processed vision.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts