does replacing the mains lead make any difference

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

OK, I'll bite!

I've a system that's worth* around £2000. I use stock bog standard cables. What am I missing when the cables that cost 10% of the value of the system were replaced with ones that are well under half that (standard interconnect - £6.99 - pro audio type) and the performance didn't change at all?

A

Anonymous

I don't really understand your point drummerdave, but have to point out I am not an english speaking person and if you are pointing out bad english writing, I'll have to tell you I have seen much worse by english speaking persons on this and other forums, and then maybe we could see how many foreign languages you are fluent in.............................. Obviously does't need to get personal and obviously maybe I am wrong.

And your sentence was not really understandble by the way.........

A

Anonymous

the only ones i have found to make a real difference are russ andrews' classic. i have tried others and they made the sound sound different but not necessarily better. I tried a £100 black rhodium and would happily have used the standard freebie over it. All it did was alter the sound but overall improvement was debatable.

A

Anonymous

curiosity sells cables .. simples..
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I own chord, isotek & merlin mains cables i don't know why i got them i suppose i believed reviews i have read & just thought i would give them a try. They no way seem to add much to my set up in respect to what they cost.
But adding to all this a cheap tacima 6 way mains block seemed to make big differance compared to it's cost, so there must be something to be gained in changing the mains part of your set up.
If you do try different mains products for me the best way to see if they will make any kind of diffence to your set up is try it with your tv screen it seems to show any diffence up the best to me.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:
I'm glad you like your cables, really. Just don't try and sell me the try it for 60 days ploy.

i do get your marketing point but if someone wants to remain lazy and not return then who is to blame ? - also why suggest i am trying to sell you anything - like you i am simply a consumer and i am certainly not adverse to sending back something that doesnt reap any benefit to me.

like another poster i found a real improvement using Russ Andrews classic - did he pay me for saying so - nope nothing at all.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:Just don't try and sell me the try it for 60 days ploy.

Why is it a ploy? Try it, and if you don't like it, send it back. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
God, I do hate to admit it but yes, I can hear quite a big different in my set. The thing to remember though, even if it make a different you still need to like that different sound.

A

Anonymous

I do find interconnectors can change the sound of a system & because most people systems on here are made up of different components & we all have different listerning environments results may be different for everyone using the same cable. i seem to notice a bad cable that as taken something away from the sound more. Many people use cables to help them fine tune there system to get the sound they want.
A few months ago i thought i got a massive upgrade when i had to swap my 7m qed performance hdmi cable (the old one) as i needed a longer cable to a 10m chord active hdmi cable for my projector. I then watched up on blu-ray for the first time i could'nt believe the quality of the picture i got i thought it was the cable that made the difference but it turned out to be more the quality of the film after watching something else.
I have used 1 to 2 metre lengths of qed sr & thatcable hdmi cables i found they seemed to me to give more of a darker dull picture with my set up than when i have used qed performance or chord active cables i could'nt tell the difference with them 2. So i would buy qed performence classic if i needed to buy a new cable as they can be picked up cheap now.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Having just replaced my power cable, I'd have to say yes. Lower noise floor (silent bits are dead silent), better detail, better bass (more control/grip, seems to dig deeper) and improved soundstage. I wouldn't say it is a night and day difference, but I'm pleased I did it. Whether it is worth it would be down to the individual. That was my impression right out of the box, so (and this may just be seen as trolling/inviting flames) I'll be interested to see what it's like after burning in.

T

the record spot

So, about ten minutes then...play a Yes track. Starship Trooper's a good one. Really tests the bass as well.
emotion-5.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Well just my tuppence worth...

My Clearer Audio Copperline Alpha cables landed yesterday (one for the CDP and one for the amp)

The soundstage has opened up a bit more; the bass is tauter and punchier and the treble is smooth.

It's still early days yet but there has been an improvement over the standard cables stright away

T

the record spot

But of course there would be dear boy, wouldn't there?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I also have found that my system has improved from the use of after market mains cables. I dont have a lot of money to spend on hi-fi so instead of buying brand name cable Y for £95 i have purchased cables from ebay shops made of higher grade components than cable Y(silver plated OFC conductors and silver plated Wattgate plugs) for £50.
When i tried the cables for the fist time i didnt know what to expect but i, and a friend of mine, both heard improvements in the bass and treble immediately.
I cant explain why these cable make a difference and quite frankly i dont care too much about the science of it all. All i know is my system sounds better and it didnt cost me much = RESULT!

T

the record spot

Of my current arrangement / kit list / whatever, the best improvement of late has been to move the speakers about 4" further back.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
the record spot:Of my current arrangement / kit list / whatever, the best improvement of late has been to move the speakers about 4" further back.

I too found my kit sounded far better after moving record spot's speakers back around 4 inches. Of course once I'd exhausted the potential improvements and to be gained by messing with other people, and everything was placed perfectly, I could still gain further improvements with a sexy after-market power cord.

A

Anonymous

ID.:Lower noise floor (silent bits are dead silent)

This always puzzles me. I've heard several people say this about their aftermarket mains cables. It follows of course that prior to the cable upgrade the silent bits were NOT silent but rather overlayed and therefore obscured by noise. Was this really the case? If so that sounds like a design fault of your equipment more than a sub-standard mains lead..?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Bring back 'captive' mains leads. Would knock 99 percent of these arguments on the head and would probably sound better due to having soldered connections rather than the 'mechanical' kettle lead connection.

Why do people with so much faith in exotic (and often very expensive) mains cables never have enough 'faith' to have someone rewire the mains cable behind the connection INSIDE the amplifier? Is that bit immune to all the added loveliness?

It can't be the expense. A competent, trained electrician will do that bit for a pittance compared to some of the sums cable tweakers expend. (And he won't even laugh at you until he gets back in the van!)

It's the same with signal connections. People using cables as thick as a garden hose - and the same cost as a new hatchback - are always happy to leave the thin, unremarkable (but perfectly adequate) wire inside their amps (or speakers) unmolested.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
storsvante:

This always puzzles me. I've heard several people say this about their aftermarket mains cables. It follows of course that prior to the cable upgrade the silent bits were NOT silent but rather overlayed and therefore obscured by noise. Was this really the case? If so that sounds like a design fault of your equipment more than a sub-standard mains lead..?

But the noise disappears when an aftermarket mains lead is employed. if it was an equipment fault, the noise would remain regardless of which cable was used. Also, I think the term noise needs clarifying. When i talk about noise I'm talking about very low levels of sound. Nothing which was picked up during loud or busy sections of music, only during periods of silence or quiet passages with large amounts of 'space' in the music. Also, not noticeable at low volumes.

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:storsvante:

But the noise disappears when an aftermarket mains lead is employed. if it was an equipment fault, the noise would remain regardless of which cable was used. Also, I think the term noise needs clarifying. When i talk about noise I'm talking about very low levels of sound. Nothing which was picked up during loud or busy sections of music, only during periods of silence or quiet passages with large amounts of 'space' in the music. Also, not noticeable at low volumes.

What kind of noise are you referring to? White noise? 50 Hz hum? Does it come out of the amp or the music source (ie prior to your mains cable swap, could you hear it with the amp switched on but the CDP/DAC/radio turned off?)?

A

Anonymous

pauladamss:as above does it really make any difference replacing 1m of cable when the whole house is wire with non performance cables?? answer is yes if you chage black cable for a white cable
you then have a new color cable so it must be better?.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Good point. If I try to think about it it's probably a combination of cutting out a bit of hiss/white noise which was there in very minor amounts, but enough to disturb things in the quiet parts and giving better resolution so the individual strands stand out more/have space.

It may be better shielding, or maybe I've just been romanced by the marketing blurbs. That and the fat black hosepipe like sheathing makes me think that I am getting blacker blacks and the sounds standing out starkly from a dead black silent background.

I do get a bigger difference by playing with room tuning (speaker placement, curtains open, shut, half open, lace curtain shut heavier main curtain open...)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
See thats where I've noticed the biggest difference

The classical music that I listen to (which isnt a lot but I still enjoy it) has become an easier listen as the low-level hiss that appears when the music has gone quiet or there's a break has gone!

The likes of Montavani is an easier listen as well as when the music is very quiet there's no hiss anymore

TRENDING THREADS