Does anyone on here listen to dance music?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I don't listen to dance music (at least not that described here) but if it brings pleasure to others why should I feel the need to criticise? I do like electronic music however and I believe Steve Hillage (who I like a great deal) has done some work which falls into the dance arena.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris said:
Because rock music is better. :rockout: :)

I thought you were a
drums15.gif
not a
rockout.gif

A

Anonymous

Ill go with another generalisation.

Why does it tend to be people into rock music who are quite closed minded when it comes to music? :wall: IME people into dance music seem to have a more eclectic taste.

Obviously this doesnt apply to all and I know there are many different kinds of rock/metal so its not like everything sounds like Slayer.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
xtrmntr said:
Ill go with another generalisation.

Why does it tend to be people into rock music who are quite closed minded when it comes to music?

Defensiveness is bred into us rock lovers following 30 years of people asking us "When are you going to start listening to proper music?".

:wall: IME people into dance music seem to have a more eclectic taste.

There's not a lot in it, in my experience, although I will say it was a rock-chick who first made me realise that dance music could be good as well (Ride on Time was her favourite as it happens). It probably helped that I was 15 and fancied the pants off her, so I was probably more open to suggestion than I might have been from anyone else!

Obviously this doesnt apply to all and I know there are many different kinds of rock/metal so its not like everything sounds like Slayer.

What's wrong with Slayer? One of the best albums ever made is from Slayer (Reign in Blood).

A

Anonymous

There's nothing wrong with Slayer. I just meant I'm aware that not all rock/metal sounds the same.

I'm a huge fan of guitar music aswell. I like everything from And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead and Atari Teenage Riot to System of a Down and Sepultura.

Paul.

The one that always bugs me is when people infer that dance music is easy, and the musicians talentless. Many electronic artists go to extreme lengths to create the sound they want, people like BT even write their own software plugins because the sound they want does not exist. Is that not more artistic than picking up a traditional instrument and bashing out the same old?

Not criticising Rock or any genre obviously (well, I don't get dub step, but then I'm not really partial to Ketamin either...). I wish people wouldn't get so hung up on genre, I'm in the same camp as The Lhc in that I like sounds, don't care in what order.

Most of my favorites actually rely on merging dance music tech in to traditional music, i.e 65DaysOfStatic, Imogen heap, Unkle, modern BT + Hybrid etc.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I can't put my finger on why I like one genre more than another, any more than I can understand why I love one song from an artist more than another.

All I can say is; I was on a job the other day in a shop being refurbed. The builders were listening to Fearne Cotton on what I believe is Radio 1. She played a track by a band(?) Called 'Nero' (I don't what it was called but the woman singing sounded like she'd sprinted around the block a few times before running straight into the recording studio) and it took every fibre of my being to not pick up that ropey old radio and launch it as hard as possible into the nearest brick wall.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris said:
I can't put my finger on why I like one genre more than another, any more than I can understand why I love one song from an artist more than another. All I can say is; I was on a job the other day in a shop being refurbed. The builders were listening to Fearne Cotton on what I believe is Radio 1. She played a track by a band(?) Called 'Nero' (I don't what it was called but the woman singing sounded like she'd sprinted around the block a few times before running straight into the recording studio) and it took every fibre of my being to not pick up that ropey old radio and launch it as hard as possible into the nearest brick wall.
I am suprised you had to wait for the music to start if Fearne Cotton was the DJ.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
hammill said:
Big Chris said:
I can't put my finger on why I like one genre more than another, any more than I can understand why I love one song from an artist more than another. All I can say is; I was on a job the other day in a shop being refurbed. The builders were listening to Fearne Cotton on what I believe is Radio 1. She played a track by a band(?) Called 'Nero' (I don't what it was called but the woman singing sounded like she'd sprinted around the block a few times before running straight into the recording studio) and it took every fibre of my being to not pick up that ropey old radio and launch it as hard as possible into the nearest brick wall.
I am suprised you had to wait for the music to start if Fearne Cotton was the DJ.

Indeed. Up there with the great unexplained questions in life as, "where do babies come from?", "do plants feel pain?" "are fat women prescribed leggings on the NHS?" Is the one that asks how the personality vacuum that is Fearne Cotton ever made it on TV/Radio.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Big Chris said:
hammill said:
Big Chris said:

Indeed. Up there with the great unexplained questions in life as, "where do babies come from?", "do plants feel pain?" "are fat women prescribed leggings on the NHS?" Is the one that asks how the personality vacuum that is Fearne Cotton ever made it on TV/Radio.

Used to love Simon Amstell on Never Mind The Buzzcocks ripping in to her, I miss him on Buzzcocks, always made me laugh.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts