Do I need my power amp

specialagent

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi, need some advice please. I've currently got a Marantz PM 17 KI with the matching power amp driving a pair of Spendor SA 1's. These speakers lack a bit of bass and the power amp really helps make up for this. I'm thinking of upgrading to a PM 14 KI which is available. Will I still need the power amp? Many thanks for your thoughts. Cheers.

Looking purely at the specs of the two amps then I would say not.

If you are going to get the PM 14 anyway then try it with and without.

Ultimately, and very good as the Spendors may be, you are not going to get more bass out of them by adding a power amp.

It may seem like it but my experience is it is purely the quality of the bass you are affecting.

The only way you are going to address the lack of bass is to change your speakers.

You could, if you haven't already, try playing with speaker placement.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Agree with Al

I was quite surprised how much they lacked in the bass region. Personally I'd be looking PMC DB1is, which IMO don't quite have the all-round capability of SA-1s but pack a major punch for their size. Alternatively it might be worth thinking about a small sub to go with SA-1s.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
My SA-1s are great and what they do, they do very very well but they are never going to shake the foundations. For me that is not an issue so if you like the speakers then get a sub.

specialagent

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys for the helpful comments. I'm not thinking of changing my speakers, as I really like the musicality of the SA1's. My question really is whether my power amp will add anything to the PM14 should I go ahead and buy it. It certainly does to my current amp.

specialagent said:
Thanks guys for the helpful comments. I'm not thinking of changing my speakers, as I really like the musicality of the SA1's. My question really is whether my power amp will add anything to the PM14 should I go ahead and buy it. It certainly does to my current amp.

From personal experience of power amps (Arcams and Rotels) they certainly make driving a speaker a little easier and add a little to midrange detail and improve bass, but whether the overall ambience will be enough for your needs is another question. I suppose if you can get the amp cheap enough on one of the auction sites you could always sell it should it fail to fully satisfy.

I like the SA-1s detail and clarity but the bass, for my tastes, is insipid at best.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I like the SA-1s detail and clarity but the bass, for my tastes, is insipid at best.

I'm glad i've actually heard the SA1s because otherwise I might have thought you were being sensible!

The bass was not deep (of course), but 'insipid'? No-way.

Very lively and involving little speakers with stunning mid-range clarity (presence) that I would have snapped up (with my Naim gear) if 'id had enough money at the time. (I bought ex-demo nSats for £450 instead.)

If the OP wants deeper bass than the SA1s (but wants to keep Spendor's sound) then...

Buy bigger Spendors with a bigger cabinet and bigger mid-bass driver. (But lose the clarity unless you go for something above the S3/5R2 in their 'Classic' range.)

Get a sub.

Change physics. (The actual cone material of the SA1s is 90mm in diameter.)

Use in a smaller room and push them back against a wall then toe them in slightly (if you haven't already).

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

I'm glad i've actually heard the SA1s because otherwise I might have thought you were being sensible!

Very lively and involving little speakers with stunning mid-range clarity (presence) that I would have snapped up (with my Naim gear) if 'id had enough money at the time. (I bought ex-demo nSats for £450 instead.)

If the OP wants deeper bass than the SA1s (but wants to keep Spendor's sound) then...

Buy bigger Spendors with a bigger cabinet and bigger mid-bass driver. (But lose the clarity unless you go for something above the S3/5R2 in their 'Classic' range.)

Get a sub.

Use in a smaller room and push them back against a wall then toe them in slightly (if you haven't already).

I had to look insipid up in the dictionary :rofl: ......but no, they are not insipid

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I found the SA1s had adequate bass (for me) in a small room, but a bit insipid in a pretty large one........so very "room size" dependent.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Get a sub.

Let's keep this in context. I did say "for my tastes", and my taste comes in the shape of floorstanders, namely RS6s and Totem Arros. Oh and just the other day heard PMC 23 rigged to the Elicit-R.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts