DIY version of multi-room system but for hi-fi NOT digital music

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I'm new on here and not particularly well versed in techie speak but I could do with some advice from people who know!

I have an old but good hi-fi separates system hooked up to a Freeview box for listening to digital radio. I also have a large CD and vinyl collection which is most certainly not in MP3 format.

I'd like to be able to listen to music around the house but multi-room systems like the Cambridge Audio Incognito cost a fortune and seem oriented towards digital music stored on a PC so I am trying to find a cheaper way to do it. I have a humble Cambridge Audio A1 Mk3 amp (30Wpc) which I already have two sets of speakers connected to through a switching box, which works fine, but I wouldn't be able to connect any more speakers to without too much loss of power.

That works fine for downstairs but I'd like to extend it upstairs and I can't think how to do it. I could get another amp and speakers as well as CD player etc for upstairs but it would be separate from the downstairs one and wouldn't let me listen to the same music throughout the house, unless there would be some way to connect them together. I'm not too bothered about having lots of controls for the systems as there is in the multi-room systems - if I have an amp upstairs and downstairs I can get to the volume control if the phone goes!

Has anyone done something like this on the cheap?

A

Anonymous

Thanks - do the amps have to be of similar power ratings or is that completely unimportant? Does it only work with the tape output? I have a Minidisc recorder connected to that at the moment but I suppose I could get one of those switching boxes with an extra input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts