DIY isolation Platform

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
OK,

My latest foray into hifi has been to build an isolation platform. The idea is to reduce vibration both vertical, horizontal and rotational.

Its not flashy, it doesn't have WAF (to be honest, its not that bad), but it works.

After a suggestion from another forum member, I have followed the Bob Diament idea and ended up with:

Hifi shelf > 12" inner tube slightly inflated (£2.50 ebay) > granite plinth (£9.99 sainsbury) > tablespoons (3 of, not stainless steel, with handles bent off, attached with blue tack) (£0.00 kitchen)> 3/8 inch ball bearings (£5.00 ebay) > metal base of cd player.

The ball bearings are placed into the spoons and held in place by gravity. Soup spoons would be the most ideal due to the circular curvature but I had none to hand so used ordinary spoons.

As for the spoons, non-stainless steel ones are better as the handles can be bent off easily (I have minimal tools at home). I did try coaster cups from Homebase but they were too free running and the cd player may have fallen off the shelf. I used a large blob of blue tack below the spoons to hold them in place on the plinth.

A straw tube is recommended under the inner tube to let air in and out of the cavity produced within the inner tube when granite plinth is on top and glass shelf is blow. I used a disused pen as it is unlikely to collapse under pressure, unlike a straw.

I have to say that my cd sounds fantastic. More accurate bass, larger soundstage, more pinpoint imaging, accurate treble. It is nearly the system that I have in my head. The only current drawback is having to warn friends not to press the buttons too hard when they change the cd.

If you want to try this, and to get a more accurate description of how to build this, use your search engine and search for: cd isolation platform bicycle inner tube

Good luck!

PS I have also placed a plinth and inner tube under my technics 1210, resulting in a better sound.

Messiah

If we ever needed a picture of something.....
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Sorry, Its Barry Diament (not Bob), a recording engineer.

Also, it is the Record spot who brought it to my attention, following me trying isolation with sorbothane and not liking the resulting sound. Many thanks Record Spot.

Messiah - I will try to work out how to post photos to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Messiah

leenorris78:
Messiah - I will try to work out how to post photos to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Sweet! This may help:

To upload photos - First of all you need to ensure the photos are hosted somewhere such as Flickr. www.flickr.com (Free site) and that you have selected for anyone to see them.
Once this is done you can start to post pictures. Personally I use Firefox but I assume it will be similar for Explorer.

You will need to get the address location of your picture so (using Flickr) click on the photo you want to upload. Once this is done you will need to click on the 'Share This' link on the top right of the page. Then in the box that opens up click on the 'Grab HTML'. Then copy the image location that appears starting from 'http' and ending 'jpg' in the drop down box.

When you post there should be a tool bar available under the message header. Located on this is an icon of a picture of a tree. Click on this and it will bring up a little box. The top line will say Image URL. Paste the URL you previously copied here. Then set the Image Alignment. Once this is done the dimensions of your image should be shown. You may need to resize the image if it is too large (more than 400 pixels) as this really peeves of the Mods! Then just click on 'Insert' and job done!!

Or you can try PJPros' tutorial....

A

Anonymous

" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="top" title="undefined" onmouseover="undefined" onmouseout="undefined" />" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="" title="undefined" onmouseover="undefined" onmouseout="undefined" />

A

Anonymous

Do I have bananas?

Or, No Bananas?

Let me know if you can see pics. Cheers

idc

We have bananas lee, brilliant bananas!

My DIY effort is show in my signature picture. It is made from a granite place mat to which I have glued four chrome door stops with rubber ends, designed to be screwed onto a skirting board. As an isolation platform, it does not work, really, at all. But as a nifty little shelf to put my amp on it works very well.

A

Anonymous

idc - Thanks for the reply. I read about that when you did it. Excellent idea, and one I am considering myself as a way of freeing up some shelf space (place blueray under TV) when I eventually get round to surround sound. But for now, sound goes from the optical out of the TV, into the minidisk (used as a dac) and into the hifi. Does the job!

Messiah - Many thanks for your help on posting photos. Now I can get round to posting some photos in the "My System" page.

A

Anonymous

leenorris78:

OK,

My latest foray into hifi has been to build an isolation platform. The idea is to reduce vibration both vertical, horizontal and rotational.

Its not flashy, it doesn't have WAF (to be honest, its not that bad), but it works.

After a suggestion from another forum member, I have followed the Bob Diament idea and ended up with:

Hifi shelf > 12" inner tube slightly inflated (£2.50 ebay) > granite plinth (£9.99 sainsbury) > tablespoons (3 of, not stainless steel, with handles bent off, attached with blue tack) (£0.00 kitchen)> 3/8 inch ball bearings (£5.00 ebay) > metal base of cd player.

The ball bearings are placed into the spoons and held in place by gravity. Soup spoons would be the most ideal due to the circular curvature but I had none to hand so used ordinary spoons.

As for the spoons, non-stainless steel ones are better as the handles can be bent off easily (I have minimal tools at home). I did try coaster cups from Homebase but they were too free running and the cd player may have fallen off the shelf. I used a large blob of blue tack below the spoons to hold them in place on the plinth.

A straw tube is recommended under the inner tube to let air in and out of the cavity produced within the inner tube when granite plinth is on top and glass shelf is blow. I used a disused pen as it is unlikely to collapse under pressure, unlike a straw.

I have to say that my cd sounds fantastic. More accurate bass, larger soundstage, more pinpoint imaging, accurate treble. It is nearly the system that I have in my head. The only current drawback is having to warn friends not to press the buttons too hard when they change the cd.

If you want to try this, and to get a more accurate description of how to build this, use your search engine and search for: cd isolation platform bicycle inner tube

Good luck!

PS I have also placed a plinth and inner tube under my technics 1210, resulting in a better sound.

an empty washing up liquid bottle, some sticky backed plastic and a pair of Val's old knickers.....

Get down Shep!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Right, quick update.

Firstly, it looks like the missus has deleted my lovely pics from her flickr site, which means I'll try to set up my own Flickr account a bit later.

Secondly, I love this isolation platform, so much, that it is staying put. Its a cracking upgrade that is well worth the effort.

Third is a problem. The power cable is a bit of a monster weight wise and keeps dragging the cd player backwards and makes the cd player wonky. If you decide to make this platform, bear in mind that you may also have this problem. To remedy this, I have swapped it for a lighter 30 quid power cable jobbie that I was using on my sub. The result is that I have lost a little something. Liquidity? mmmmmh, dunno. I'm gonna give it another week and swap the power cables back and see if it is just me.

Through my hifi experience, I beleive that I am subjective in my hearing. I beleive that as I have no sense of smell, my hearing is more accute and I can hear little differences in sound, so much, as with some equipment I have kept and other bits I have sold on as they have made no difference, to accessories that have made the sound worse (to my ears) .

So, the platform stays. The cables? I may have to put up with the heavy cables and wonky cd player!

TRENDING THREADS