Distortion, or not?

cliff hazard

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I've recently bought a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 40 speakers and a Yamaha RN-500 network amplifier. We've just bought a new house but we're waiting to move in (the speakers were the 1st thing I bought once I knew our offer had been accepted) and as the rooms are a lot bigger I wanted a decent system to fill the space.

I tried the speakers and amp when they arrived just to make sure that everything was working ok. I let them play for an hour or so and cranked them up a little (but not deafeningly loud briefly), just to see where they would go. Everything seemed fine and I put everything back in the boxes waiting for the move. As it's taking a while for everything to go through I thought I might as well start running the speakers in so I took them out today and set it all up. After a couple of hours they really started to sound brilliant, this is my 1st decent system and I was shocked how much more detail I was hearing in the music I usually listen to, it's made me want to listen to my whole collection again.

However, as I've sat in front of them all afternoon I've noticed that certain sounds are maybe a little distorted but I can't work out whether they are or if it's just that I'm not used to a better system and it's just the extra detail? I honestly don't know if it's happening or is it just in my head and I'm listening "too hard". A lot of tracks are fine, acoustic stuff sounds brilliant and funk/soul tunes do also but when I'm listening to more complicated stuff like techno, I think I can hear a bit of distortion on certain tracks but I can't work out if that's how it's meant to sound?? It's more of a mid range thing, and volume doesn't seem to matter, it's just certain sounds or basslines. Could I have done any damage by cranking them up a bit straight out of the box?

I've got decent speaker cables and I've bi-wired. I'm using my ipod plugged directly into the amp via USB.

Has anyone else had similar issues or can anyone give me any advice?

cheers

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
A good system will reveal details in music that you've never heard before. I've Experienced this myself several times before when going from rubbish speakers to good speakers. Then it happened again when going from good speakers to outstanding speakers and most recently again with good headphones.

Try listening to the same music on your old system and see if the distortion is still there. There's a good chance it was there recorded in the music all the time but you just never noticed it before.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I can recommend M&S "Thinsulate" slippers. They are really cosy and keep your feet really warm. I can't speak to highly of their effect on the soundstage either.

Chris

do you like slippers? .... especially worn ones? ... there are lots of guys like you

check ebay but they sell at a premium

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
dim_span said:
what size is your room, and what is the length of the wall where your speakers are placed?

What is your shoe size, and do you wear slippers?

350x402px-4c416063_offtopic.jpeg

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
dim_span said:
Covenanter said:
I can recommend M&S "Thinsulate" slippers. They are really cosy and keep your feet really warm. I can't speak to highly of their effect on the soundstage either.

Chris

do you like slippers? .... especially worn ones? ... there are lots of guys like you

check ebay but they sell at a premium

"Like"? Not aesthetically but as you get older you do need to keep warm, circulation weakens and slippers are very helpful.

Chris

PS I think you might be confusing slippers with other items of clothing!

cliff hazard

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all of the info. I'll give them some more time and see what happens.

Regarding the slippers, well I've trimmed my toe nails recently so it can't be clipping. I'll give them a while to bed in also.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Cliff, if it sounds distorted to your ears, chances are it is distorted. And if it's happenning over a range of recordings, chances are your system is at least partly if not mostly responsible. IE it's adding distortion that isn't there on the recording.

Solo piano recordings are good distortion tests.

In hi-fi, trust your instincts when deciding which components you want to settle on.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
:O)

I thought the size of the room was not relevant, hence my comment. I might buy a pair of those M&S slippers.

I asked for room size as I was going to work out how far to place the speakers from the rear walls/side walls

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts