Digital vs Analogue volume control

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
busb said:
I can asure you that if offence was meant, it would have been a lot sharper. I'm a visual person so I just had these pictures in my mind of a shiny Chord amplifier with levers sticking out. Sometimes, humour sails closer than some feel comfortable with. If this was the case here, I apologise.

if you put it that way, there's no need to apologise. :cheers:

I just thought you were one of those guys who can't stand, for instance, "propably" in other people's posts and has to point that out for everybody. and then I got slightly annoyed... :shifty:

I'm not too keen on poor spelling & grammer in particular neither but tend to tut to myself instead! Some mistakes are typos.

As regards to analogue v. digital volume control, the channel matching on log pots can get worse with wear as can noise during use or in extreme cases: channel dropout. Digital control of analogue in general has got better with design experience such as care with signal paths & separated ground returns, PSU decoupling etc. My issue is with having too coarse increments spread over too little range. Moon have a rather high-end preamp with 0.1dB step size - perhaps overkill but I'd like to see 0.5dB being the norm. Another issue with digital volume controls is whether or not rate of change is implemented so that the faster an rotary encoder is spun or longer a button is held down, the faster the volume changes.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
shooter said:
Have to disagree. A passive volume control adds distortion as phase distortion. As a general rule, its the impedance limitations of the typical high end volume pot that causes the poor reproduction of dynamics and high frequency loss, also keep in mind that even the slightest unevenness in frequency response or phase distortion will add a false sense of dynamics since the apparent volume of the playback will vary as the pitch of the music varies, these factors add muddiness to the sound. There are better pots than others but even the best has degrees of the above.

I must admit I'm no expert in electronics. I just strive to learn as much as I can because I really like to know how thing work and why. and it also helps me to make more informed buying decisions :). I must admit that this concept of phase distortion is new and bizarre to me . I mean, to my knowledge, resistor, unlike coils and caps, are those passive components that don't induce any phase irregularities, but I may be wrong. could you post a link to an article describing in more detail how passive volume ctrl contributes to phase distortion? I once read about phase distortion in cables when there got so hot around Tellurium Q cables. from what I found phase distortion is a problem but in a many hundred miles long lines. nothing to do with lenghts associated with speakers. so I can't see how a resistor could make problems here? furthermore, as I mentioned before coils and caps do induce phase shifts of various degrees but it's down to proper design to cancel those shifts out at the output...

shooter said:
Reagarding dithering, yes its quantization steps and has nothing to do with SNR. The idea about dithering is to de-correlate the quantization error from the audio signal. If the dither noise is added to the 24 bit sample after the level control and befor the re-quantixation to 16 bits, the quantixation erro can be fully cecorrelated from the signal. This means instead of distortion there is noise, the music in undistorted.

There is a different method and the more elaborate dithering shape the noise in such a way that is is mainly at higher frequencies where the human ear is less sensitive. This means the audible noise is much lower.

:shifty: :cheers:

and what if you're listening to music at so low volume levels that dither becomes a problem?

I was doing some maths today. I'd rather not repeated here as there's too much explaining what's what. anyway, it turns out you can enjoy a massive orchestral work with 25dB dynamic range from a typical 80Wpc class AB amp and 85dB/1W/1m sensitive speakers. it's going to be at full tilt but no clipping and volume level should reach at 4m 102dB peak from two speakers and 77dB low, which quite nicely represents situation in the middle of a big concert hall. however, if you're listening to more dynamically restrained music or just let the music play in back ground you won't be able to listen at full tilt as it's going to be too loud. with 10dB dynamic range you'll get 102dB peak and 92dB low. this is quite loud. 85dB for a long time will cause hearing loss and you have to raise your voice in order to talk. so you'll attenuate about 10dB for loud but quite comfortable listening (unless you're masochist :)) and about 20dB or more for background listening. this, I think, should cause no problems.

another story is with very sensitive speakers. say 100dB. for the symphonic work you'll attenuate by 20dB in order to match volume levels from first example (123dB peak and 98dB low is waaaay to loud for anybody to bear without incurring penalties). this gives 30dB attenuation for low dynamic range music and 40dB or more for background music.

but. this may be remedied. if you choose low gain power amp with high sens speakers. in my case 2Wpc (!) will be capable of the same performance as 80Wpc with 85dB sens speakers. you won't have to attenuate too much so you won't have to be worried too much about dither noise.

so. digital volume ctrl can be good with the right components down the chain. it's all down to careful picking what's best. it seems like it's bad idea to match hi gain amps with sensitive speakers.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Overdose said:
Are there any downsides for example, in using the digital volume control on the Dacmagic plus?

Love him or hate him*, Ken Rockwell measured the volume control at -20dB, -40dB and -60dB gain for distortion and found it performed very well in this regard...

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm

Do an 'edit', 'find' for "volume control introduces" (without the speech marks) to find the relevant bit quickly.

*Sorry JD, I know you hate KR (as do I ), but he does answer this specific question of the OP's.

I had no idea that Ken Rockwell was winding up music lovers as well as photographers - I often read his Nikon lens reviews. I certainly don't mind reviewers/bloggers stating their opinions but our Ken tends spread them rather thickly at times! It's a hell of a lot easier being objective with lens reviews than audio where he concentrates on measured results rather than the subjectivity of SQ. Perhaps wise!

Overdose said:
busb said:
I'm not too keen on poor spelling & grammer in particular neither but tend to tut to myself instead! Some mistakes are typos.

Was that sentence meant to be ironic? ;)

smiley-smile.gif

Alec said:
For me, if the volume goes high enough and low enough, I'm happy. And I don't get the "lever" thing.

All the illustrations are pretty though.

But I'm sure you would also prefer to control the volume within the range you desire without undue distortion. I personally find 1dB steps too coarse.

As for the lever thing - my humour back-fired a bit - I picked up on oldric_naubhoff's typo in reply #1

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
I must admit that this concept of phase distortion is new and bizarre to me . I mean, to my knowledge, resistor, unlike coils and caps, are those passive components that don't induce any phase irregularities, but I may be wrong.

The best resistors have a perfectly resistive load which have an input resistance rather than a input inpedance i.e zero phase angle.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
shooter said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
I must admit that this concept of phase distortion is new and bizarre to me . I mean, to my knowledge, resistor, unlike coils and caps, are those passive components that don't induce any phase irregularities, but I may be wrong.

The best resistors have a perfectly resistive load which have an input resistance rather than a input inpedance i.e zero phase angle.

pretty much what I thought. so how this ties up with analog volume causing phase distortion?

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately there is no such thing as a purely resistive resistor. However, even if there were perfect resistors, the problem is that we are not dealing with a resistor in isolation: it is coupled to other electronics which will have significant capacitance. The result is the reactance of the resistor and coupling capacitance will be frequency dependant, and what is more, the effect will vary as the resistance (volume) is changed. So the phases and relative strengths of signals at different frequences can get out of kilter.

Whether or not one can hear these changes is another matter!

Andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts