Digital scales

My Mrs bought me one for my birthday, that and a new LP.

its the first time I have used a scale to set up a cart, I've been doing it by ear.

to my surprise, I've set the cart up bob on!

Im slowly gathering a collection of carts, so it will get some use. I like to switch them around, to try make them last a little longer.

Nice little gadget though, and not a lot of money either.

bigfish786 said:
My Mrs bought me one for my birthday, that and a new LP.

its the first time I have used a scale to set up a cart, I've been doing it by ear.

to my surprise, I've set the cart up bob on!

Im slowly gathering a collection of carts, so it will get some use. I like to switch them around, to try make them last a little longer.

Nice little gadget though, and not a lot of money either.

Agree can be had cheap these days if you don't buy the silly priced branded ones and a bit more accurate than my old Shure 'see-saw' type scales.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Mmmmm once you get into MC a lot of the scales are magnetised which isn't good !

I got a set from Analogue Seduction for about £55-60 that are for MCs

Petherick said:
Can you explain that a bit? Why would they be magnetised?

It's a misconception to some, the scales surely, if they were, would effect moving magnet cartridges . I have owned three sets of varying price but none have affected my moving coils ever. The application of battery power does not mean they are going to get magnetised by any means.

Sales gimmick?

It would be very interesting to hear if anyone else has had their moving coil cartridges damaged by these digital scales and if they have who made the scales?

entrails

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Dynavector 10x5 homc of mine while using digital scales launched itself at the scales sticking to it. Once removed cantilever was toast and when lowered on to record it just collapsed. Too expensive to repair. Model was CR-H/HA generic digital scales bought through a hifi online shop which did not warn of this problem. I did post on their site a review to warn customers but sadly it never appeared. I bought myself a non-magnetised digital scale specifically for cartirdges afterwards very expensive lesson, which is if you are going to the expense of buying an MC don't cut costs on digital scales.

I might be worng but the reason a moving coil is the one at risk is that the coil is small and moves inside a large magnet whereas the magnet on a moving magnet is much smaller. I'm sure much more knowledgable people on this site can confirm this or not.

entrails said:
Dynavector 10x5 homc of mine while using digital scales launched itself at the scales sticking to it. Once removed cantilever was toast and when lowered on to record it just collapsed. Too expensive to repair. Model was CR-H/HA generic digital scales bought through a hifi online shop which did not warn of this problem. I did post on their site a review to warn customers but sadly it never appeared. I bought myself a non-magnetised digital scale specifically for cartirdges afterwards very expensive lesson, which is if you are going to the expense of buying an MC don't cut costs on digital scales.

I might be worng but the reason a moving coil is the one at risk is that the coil is small and moves inside a large magnet whereas the magnet on a moving magnet is much smaller. I'm sure much more knowledgable people on this site can confirm this or not.

Very interested to hear that. Perhaps we need to name-and-shame to keep the unwary informed.

Let's hear more makers that need to be avoided.

Sorry to hear about your Dynavectors demise.

Digital scales should purely be a weight bearing 'strain gauge' and cannot see why magnetism should be involved.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I've always set my MC up with the stylus cover on, just adjust the reading to include the weight of the cover. Plan B would be to insert a beer mat or thin strip of balsa wood in between and adjust for the weight. Simples.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts