Digital radio: is switchover by 2015 still viable?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Domestically, I guess this is just about do-able. However, I just can't see the car-driving public accepting a situation where they suddenly can't listen to their radios anymore.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I have 3x DAB-only radios in the house and only use a Freesat+ box to listen to the radio in the living-room, so you could say I'm a convert.

HOWEVER the disgraceful decision to turn off 6 music may mean that these never get switched on again except for Radio 4 that my wife listens to - the whole point of DAB was to broaden choice. If 6 music and Asian Network close this will only limit what is available, the end result being the same choice but much poorer quality. :(

There is a big issue also over car audio - my car doesn't have DAB so I have to faff about with my iPhone and a re-broadcaster, hardly ideal and even then the results only just work. Otherwise I'm stuck with poorer quality and advert-riddled local stations on FM as an alternative.

The government should concentrate on making DAB more atractive to listeners i.e. by keeping excellent niche stations like 6 music on the air, instead of spoiling the party.

TRENDING THREADS