Digital piano or cheaper keyboard with hi-fi?

Mrnewclear

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi, the question regards budget digital pianos (without stuff like acoustic chambers built into them). Is it plausible that I will get better piano sound accoustic effect for less buck if I connect budget keyboard (with all octaves that piano has) to my existing stereo speakers with two assumptions: 1) the budget keyboard has piano sound samples in a looseless format and high bitrate (that contributes a fair bit to the sound quality) 2) the stereo speakers positioning would be either facing downwards or would be in normal stereo setup ( facing the player making triangle between him and the speakers themselves).
Reason for asking is that all budget digital pianos I managed to see in audio retailers have 4 speakers (2 for high frequency and 2 for medium/low). So first of all in terms of accoustics I don't get speakers in the middle under digi piano which would probably contribute to better replicating th accoustic piano. Secondly those speaker's specs are desribed only by size and by wattage (even without precisely stating if it means rms or other).
Without all the usual specs of speakers that I get when buying hi-fi speakers I don't know what I am buying.
The amplifiers built into digi pianos that I came to see also have no specifications similar to those given when buying standalone amp.
Another problem is that digital piano speakers face downwards so the quality of acoustics depend on how the digital piano is situated in the audio retailer center- is the wall behind it or empty space so I am not sure how can I rely only on the hearing without being provided with speakers proper specs.
Last of all if I can use my existing speakers why pay extra.

abacus

You need to go on a dedicated music forum rather than a HiFi site, as most HiFi users go for something that sounds nice rather than accurate and realistic.
Speakers in electronic pianos are designed specifically for the job in hand, so will usually be better than any budget HiFi however, go to a pro music store (Instead of a HiFi store) you will find active speakers that will blow the budget HiFi system out of the window for less money, just remember if you use them for HiFi if it is a bad recording it will sound like a bad recording which most HiFi users try to avoid (Hence they buy equipment that sounds nice rather than accurate).
One thing in common though is that you must try before you buy, so get over to a pro music/piano dealer and try some out then go for which sounds best to your ears, (No one can make this decision for you) also don’t be bogged down with sample tech specs as high sample specs does not automatically equate to better sound, it’s how the samples are recorded and processed that makes the biggest difference.
Have fun choosing.

Bill

Reactions: Al ears

Mrnewclear

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Thanks. One last question that may consern hifi forum - processing delay time.
I am interested in using simultaneously the built-in speakers with an external speakers - can it work simultaneously if the built in speakers (in digital piano) have their own built in amp and the two external speakers would have their own external amp. I mean what about the delay in sound processing etc?

Gray

Thanks. One last question that may consern hifi forum - processing delay time.
I am interested in using simultaneously the built-in speakers with an external speakers - can it work simultaneously if the built in speakers (in digital piano) have their own built in amp and the two external speakers would have their own external amp. I mean what about the delay in sound processing etc?
You may well have discovered this answer for yourself by now.
If you connect by wire, there will not be a delay from external speakers.

landavid0009

Jul 25, 2022
Visit site
Hi, the question regards budget digital pianos (without stuff like acoustic chambers built into them). Is it plausible that I will get better piano sound accoustic effect for less buck if I connect budget keyboard (with all octaves that piano has) to my existing stereo speakers with two assumptions: 1) the budget keyboard has piano sound samples in a looseless format and high bitrate (that contributes a fair bit to the sound quality) 2) the stereo speakers positioning would be either facing downwards or would be in normal stereo setup ( facing the player making triangle between him and the speakers themselves).
Reason for asking is that all budget digital pianos I managed to see in audio retailers have 4 speakers (2 for high frequency and 2 for medium/low). So first of all in terms of accoustics I don't get speakers in the middle under digi piano which would probably contribute to better replicating th accoustic piano. Secondly those speaker's specs are desribed only by size and by wattage (even without precisely stating if it means rms or other).
Without all the usual specs of speakers that I get when buying hi-fi speakers I don't know what I am buying.
The amplifiers built into digi pianos that I came to see also have no specifications similar to those given when buying standalone amp.
Another problem is that digital piano speakers face downwards so the quality of acoustics depend on how the digital piano is situated in the auto clicker audio retailer center- is the wall behind it or empty space so I am not sure how can I rely only on the hearing without being provided with speakers proper specs.
Last of all if I can use my existing speakers why pay extra.
The Logitech K380 is an excellent keyboard for mobile devices; however, aside from its outstanding portability and multi-device pairing, it doesn't stand out from the crowd. It provides a typing experience that's similar to the Logitech K780, but its build quality isn't as good and it lacks a NumPad.

DCarmi

The Logitech K380 is an excellent keyboard for mobile devices; however, aside from its outstanding portability and multi-device pairing, it doesn't stand out from the crowd. It provides a typing experience that's similar to the Logitech K780, but its build quality isn't as good and it lacks a NumPad.
Neither are great for scales and arpeggios, though! ;)

TRENDING THREADS