Did I Miss Something? B&O Gone Belly Up?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
The_Lhc said:
They announced in January that they were closing 125 stores worldwide

...And opening new stores in areas where there's more business to be had.

What's more, they seemed to be doing very nicely when our esteemed Dear Leader was in Struer yesterday.

So sales of white melamine coated chipboard are safe for now then. Phew.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
So sales of white melamine coated chipboard are safe for now then. Phew.

I think that's B&Q, not B&O. Or B&W. Or indeed BMW.

Mind you, C&A's long gone, at least in the UK.

But then H&M's doing pretty well.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
What's more, they seemed to be doing very nicely when our esteemed Dear Leader was in Struer yesterday.

Appearances can be deceptive.

The stock market in Denmark has taken a different view, news that B$O profits were down sharply sent the share price off 14% in a broadly unchanged market.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
andyjm said:
Appearances can be deceptive.

The stock market in Denmark has taken a different view, news that B$O profits were down sharply sent the share price off 14% in a broadly unchanged market.

That was last week. The price seems to be recovering a bit now, though it's well down on where it was this time last year, not to mention the levels it reached last Autumn. But all of that's a long way from 'going belly up', as the OP was asking.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Indeed. Like many companies, B&O has been through a tough time of late, and makes no secret of the fact (hence the store closures in Europe). But given that it makes bespoke in-car audio systems for BMW, Audi and Aston Martin – and in January produced its 5,000,000th car speaker for Audi – it's certainly still trading. And when I was at the factory on Tues/Wed this week the production lines were in full flow.

It's now concentrating on exporting to the BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India and China) which seems sensible given the state Europe's in.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I have B&O speakers in my Audi and will have to say they are more expensive than they are good , premium audio for the today program ... not my wisest purchase, but the grills are cool .......

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Also worth noting that B&O may have closed some of its own stores (unsurprising re wider retail situation), but is now working with distributors (including my company) in a range of countries to ensure that the B&O Play range is more widely available than it has been previously.

You'll start to see the B&O Play range - from headphones to speakers to TVs - in a range of retailers, both online and on the High Street. Those retailers will still need to meet certain standards, mind you....

With all the info provided in this thread so far, is it time to change its misleading, scaremongering title? :?

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I think they sound good in the v12 q7, no quibbles at all. I just feel a lot of B&O equipment it overpriced for it is, better equipment out there at lesser price

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
The B&O in my A5 is not as posh as the one they put in the Q7, for my new A6 I could not quite stretch to the £6k they wanted for the B&O upgrade so went for the BOSE.

The annoying thing is it will only play 320kbps files.

TRENDING THREADS