Desktop speakers.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello folks.I am seeking to built a desktop system.My interest is listening to music only so I am searching for gear that is going to give me the best music listening experince for my budget.My limit is 900-1000 euros.I would be happy if I could find something cheaper but not compromise quality very much.After some internet searching and live listening I have found a good combination wich is the nad d 3020 and the system audio sa 705 speakers.The source will be my pc through my soundcard using the rca cables.Because of my very limited space I dont know if those speakers will give me the resault I am looking for because the listening position will be 50-70 cm.Do you think that I could use those speakers/amp for a desktop system or I should go for desktop active speakers? Do you think that you could suggest me some active speakers that would compare to the listening experience with the an amp and a pair of bookshelfs? My primary interest is to enjoy music with my gear,I am just having a cold feet about my available space and the nearfield listening position.Your help would be apreciated! :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
AVI DM5 active speakers. Clicky

With a Matrix Mini DAC/pre-amp (or something similar). Clicky

For the price they are unbeatable IME. Nothing else that I've ever heard for £700 gets anywhere near to the quality of these little gems. They really have to be heard to be believed. Super clear sounding high clarity and very smooth and comfortable to listen to for long periods without ever getting fatiguing. I use mine for near field use at a computer desk and they work very well at a close distance with a razor sharp and expansive stereo image.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the fast response! I am afraid that I can't find those speakers for audioning from where I live. Maby I could order an online delivery but is it the right choice to order something that I haven't listen? What is your opinion on the nad amp and the system audio speakers? Would it fit right on a very limited space or it would be a price and power overkill? I know that there are dedicated desktop speakers but are they close to the quality of the ''hifi'' bookshelf gear? Do you have any experience with krk's,tangent evo's,focal's and genelec monitors? I mention them because they are very easy for me to find and audition..do you think that they could do the job? They seem very ''professional'' speakers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Given everything you state, I think you should give the AVI ADM5s a go with a decent DAC/digital pre-amp from one of the companies that makes studio gear.

Good call if the budget will stretch that far, only 1000 euros or less.

One small speaker that has impressed in recent times is the Equator D5, under £400 so with a simple dac pre such as the Audio Engine D1 you should come in under budget even allowing for cables and desktop stands.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
matthewpiano said:
Given everything you state, I think you should give the AVI ADM5s a go with a decent DAC/digital pre-amp from one of the companies that makes studio gear.

Good call if the budget will stretch that far, only 1000 euros or less.

Ahh yes. It's about 250 euros over budget.

The Dynauudio BM5A Mk2 aren't a patch on the DM5's but they're still exellent speakers and within budget. Certainly worthy of consideration.

Ivek

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Have a look on Dynaudio XEO 3. Bookshelf wireless loudspeakers withe excellent sound. They are easy to set up. They are whithin Your budget

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Ivek said:
Have a look on Dynaudio XEO 3. Bookshelf wireless loudspeakers withe excellent sound. They are easy to set up. They are whithin Your budget

You can get them for less than £800 pair? Where?

They were about £1300 and their replacements are £1500, are you sure or are you looking at used?

Ivek

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:

They were about £1300 and their replacements are £1500, are you sure or are you looking at used?

Sorry, my mistake. I noticed on the Internet that are offered in some stores for 1000 pounds. I mixed the pound and euro.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Ivek said:
davedotco said:

Sorry, my mistake. I noticed on the Internet that are offered in some stores for 1000 pounds. I mixed the pound and euro.

They are probably a bit big for desktop use anyway, I have tried a lot of models in this area and think that a 5 inch driver is realistically the maximum, both in terms of deskspace and sound quality.

Decent active speakers will control the bass better than most conventional amp/speaker combos, helpful in non optimum situations like the desktop. A lot will be depending on what is available to the OP in his particular market, Focal was mentioned and the new Alpha 50 sounds pretty good in the shop, though I have not used it either at home or in the studio, again available a little under £400 in the UK.

233456_Focal_PP.jpg

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
For that money and desktop use active monitors will give you far better performance than an amp and speakers.

Personally, I'd be looking at something like

6719759_800.jpg

http://www.thomann.de/gb/genelec_8030_bpm.htm

or

http://www.thomann.de/gb/genelec_8020_cpm.htm

and then a DAC/preamp to control the volume. Either something like the Matrix mentioned above or

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/PC-100USB.shtml although Fostex are putting out an updated version of this soon. The new version looks a bit nicer and can handle high resolution files. It's on their Japanese website, so I assume it will get worldwide distribution sooner rather than later.

One thing to watch out for is that some pro monitors (including Genelecs) only have an XLR input so, you will need a DAC/preamp with XLR outputs like the Matrix Mini or RCA to XLR cables.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for your help. I can audition both fostex and genelec.Last year I spent a good amount of money on a dac/soundcard so I wouldn't want to make it useless buying a new dac. I could also go for the focal cms 40.Do you think that skipping the pre amp stage would be a performance kill? I read all over the internet that dedicated monitors are not meant to be used for causal listening and that will not give the thrills and the enjoyment of a passive speaker.What do you think about that http://www.focal.com/en/bird-51/290-little-bird-pack-21-3544058690303.html? Could this do the job?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
maxpain said:
Thank you all for your help. I can audition both fostex and genelec.Last year I spent a good amount of money on a dac/soundcard so I wouldn't want to make it useless buying a new dac. I could also go for the focal cms 40.Do you think that skipping the pre amp stage would be a performance kill? I read all over the internet that dedicated monitors are not meant to be used for causal listening and that will not give the thrills and the enjoyment of a passive speaker.What do you think about that http://www.focal.com/en/bird-51/290-little-bird-pack-21-3544058690303.html? Could this do the job?

If you are able to try some pro monitors, give them a go. Try anything in your price range, a couple that I rather like are the aforementioned Equator D5 and the new Focal Alpha 50. The Genelecs are good but for your budget, a bit pricy, €1000+

If your soundcard has a decent analogue out use can connect straight to the speakers. Set the speaker levels so that the volune on your software player is close to maximum at normal levels and you are good to go.

Regarding the comments about monitors, the only thing you have to understand and adjust to is that active speakers tend to be more neutral (not always, but the better ones are) rather than the hyped bass and treble of budget hi-fi speakers. Once you get adjusted to the cleaner, flatter sound, it is hard to go back to passive hi-fi speakers at a comparable price.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
These i found pretty good given their price,nice non fatigue listening for around 500 Euro a pair.

Q-Acoustics BT3

M-Audio M3-6

If you have the place i would try the M-Audio,they dig deeper than most other rivals.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
My soundcard has a very decent dac and its built is very good in general.What is your oppinion about the focal little bird system? I don't want to pay for another home theater system.I want speakers just for listening to music.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Ivek said:
davedotco said:

The Dynaudio XEO 3 can easily be found for £700 or less, new.

http://www.schlauershoppen.de/dynaudio-xeo-3-set-klavierlack-schwarz-lautsprecher-set-transmitter/
http://www.cosse.de/Unterhaltungselektronik/Hifi/Lautsprecher/Stand-Lautsprecher/Dynaudio-Xeo-3-Standlautsprecher-mit-Transmitter-Klavierlack-Schwarz-Speaker-Set-Paar.html?

In eBay, the standard price goes for a bit less than £800.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Wow they've really dropped in price. Great value speakers for £700.

I suppose that would be because they are not a current model anymore. They have been replaced by the XEO 4. But since the differences between the two appear to be minimal, the XEO 3 looks like a much better purchase at half the price of the XEO 4.

maxpain

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have been auditioning and searching stores all afternoon.I have tried to listen to the focals and the dyanudios.Equator speakers can not be found anywhere in my country.The only dyanaudio speakers that I could found were the Dynaudio BM5A MKII and the bm6a.They havent have them free for listening so I couldnt test them.Does anybody have experience with those speakers? I tested the focal alpha 50 wich was very clear and crisp sound but the outcome was the same between gernes of music.Maby this is bacause I haven't been used to the monitors?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
unsleepable said:
steve_1979 said:
Wow they've really dropped in price. Great value speakers for £700.

I suppose that would be because they are not a current model anymore. They have been replaced by the XEO 4. But since the differences between the two appear to be minimal, the XEO 3 looks like a much better purchase at half the price of the XEO 4.

Fantastic speakers for the price, clearly a 'run out' deal but someone is getting a bargain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts