dented totem rainmaker

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
hi, i found a pai of otem rainmaker for about 500 euros, the owners sais that the is a dent in the tweater or in that pointy thingy of the woofer. i didn't quit undertood it, however he says tat it doesn't influence any music quality delivery.

he said that his childeren poked it with there finger ( sorry for the bad word choice)

is that possible? should i risk it to buy it? because totems are pretty nice and this would be a bargain.

btw: totem themselfs ask 300 euros to repair it

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine managed to put dents in the tweeters of both his B&W CM7s it made little (if any at all) difference.

Can you hear them first. ?

Including the repair would you consider 800 euros a good price ?

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
yes, i can audition them , but it's a bit far for me. i think it would be worth the trip

and 800, i can't afford it right now, 500-600 maybe. the repair would be in the future though.

and what amp would you recommend? marantzpm6004?atoll 50 or80? or naim nait3?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, superficially it may not make to much of a difference subjectively but if you imagine the tweeter dome radiating in all directions from the plane of the coil it will affect sound staging. - The boffin or dustcap of the woofer also acts as a phase plug and if the designer have done their work correctly it all fits together and eliminates phase disparencies.

There are ways of getting domes back close enough to their original shapes but success is not always guaranteed. - The easiest ones to 'correct' are the tweeters that can be disassembled ie, the actual dome can be separated from the magnet assembly.

regards

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
alializadeh said:
yes, i can audition them , but it's a bit far for me. i think it would be worth the trip

and 800, i can't afford it right now, 500-600 maybe. the repair would be in the future though.

and what amp would you recommend? marantzpm6004?atoll 50 or80? or naim nait3?

im definitely the wrong person to ask on that :)

according to Totem, the Rainmakers need 40 watt plus, but on inspection of the manual 100 watt seems a lmore ikely figure. A lower power amp such as the Marantz may distort at the sort of volumes you fancy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts