Densen & Guru

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I commented on how I once had a Densen Beat integrated on home trial and didn't really like it that much. The one with the big gold knobs.

Headed over to youtube in a moment of boredom, as you do, and listened to some Densen stuff. I think it was the 130 and 150 models. - Very impressive.

The same for Guru speakers. Incredible sound. Must be a contender for any like priced speaker imho. The Junior is £800.

Both rarely mentioned here and they'd probably make a stunning minimalist looking pairing.

Ps. There is an ex dem Densen 130+ on the bay. Were I in the market for a good SS integrated I'd seriously consider that one.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
macdiddy said:
according to the facebook feed on their website.

http://guruaudio.com/

*music2*

According to a dealer I have just spoken to on the phone who used to sell them ... "avoid them like the plague" (the company AND the speaker).

I merely phoned to clarify Guru's status and got the whole story of broken promises, lies, really awful QC etc. (And a factory re-location that never worked because no-one would move despite only being a few miles away).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Mmhh, I remember you saying that a while ago (unavailability).

Shame as online videos sound mostly superb and owner feedback (the limited lucky ones that have the speakers) are generally very good.

Perhaps WhatHifi can investigate as they have reviewed the product and clarify the situation.

I really like the unusal concept and design.

As to Densen, there have been reported problems but then what company hasn't had them? They've been going for a relatively long time and material value for money, looking at internals, seems very good.

Again, I have based my comments on the integrateds showcased on youtube and they sound fantastic taking youtube limitations into account.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I really like the looks of that white Junior. Never seen or heard one in real life but I'd give it thumbs up on its design.

Also a fan of that minimalistic early Exposure, Naim, Linn 'you don't really need a heatsink, japanese lie to you, trust me' kind of industrial design that your ex Densen beat is sporting.

Probably because the superficial side of me is a fan of insecure yet pretentious women.

I wrote to the UK importers of Guru in January, as the Juniors cropped up in a thread here, yet had been unavailable for a while. They stated:- "They are not currently available but we are hoping to relaunch them in the first quarter of 2017."

Not sure anything came of that!

Densen is now imported by Elite Audio in the U.K and I was considering their 150 amp for a while last year. The XS model was due, but the Densen website didn't seem very up to date, which is a worry. I'd thought of them in the same breath as Hegel, Primare, and maybe Electrocompaniet - as one of those Scandinavian brands with modest looks but good bits inside! They claim to offer a lifetime warranty, but that requires a factory return. From here that needs a deep wallet and courage ime!

Both deserve a hearing, but caution seems to be required, sadly!

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I have a pair of GURU QM10 speakers in gloss black, they have been boxed up for a while now complete with dedicated stands.

Used them before my current set up and not tried them with the Arcam.

They do sound good for their size.

insider9

Looks like a big bottle of cologne on it side :) kind of like the clean design.

Recently read about Densen releasing a new streamer for just under £3k. Never heard any of their stuff but seen Beat 100 on eBay not so long ago for a reasonable price.

TRENDING THREADS