Denon TU-260L

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

There's always FM via virgin cable, which was what I used when my 260 was plugged in. The frequencies are weird though, and for some reason it'd stopped working when I tried plugging it in last week.

I think digital signals is the only sensible option. It is a rascal around here. A couple of roads away they struggle to pick-up signals for the TV. Friends of ours live just the other side of the village and they have cable for tv and radio; they just cannot pick-up digital or analogue signals of any sort. Being on top of the North Downs, logic says signal should be fine - for some reason, though, it ain't.

chebby:

plastic penguin:Got a quote a year or so back (we don't have a chimney) and he said because we live in a strange area we would need a twenty foot aerial stuck on the side of the bungalow (quoted £200 plus aerial). Don't think the neighbours would be best pleased either.

The height of the mast would not be unusual. Our house is about 28 feet to the top of the roof, then the chimney is another couple of feet, and the mast yet another few feet so I guess the FM aerial is about 32 feet above ground level. However, I can see your point that a tall mast would look obtrusive on the side of a bungalow. Also, if your favourite stations come from different transmitters, and from different directions, and with varying signal strength/quality, then you are going to need some type of rotating, directional aerial which is out of the question in your situation (and v expensive).

Our city is flat and there are no significantly taller buildings between our house and the transmitter, so (on a clear day) it would be possible to see the transmitter - with binoculars - from the roof. It is also a very powerful transmitter so signal strength is excellent. (There is our transmitter, just to the left of centre foreground in the pic.)

I honestly think you are going to be better off with radio from Freeview/Sky/Cable connected via optical digital (into a DAC) and with internet radio & BBC iPlayer etc from your computer (or something like a squeezebox).

The main reason to use FM is for it's quality. But if the signal is not there in sufficient strength/quality, then it is not worth bothering about no matter how good the tuner is.

Chebby, that is a stunning picture. I hope it is yours....
emotion-10.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've got that tuner PP and it's bob on

This is one seperate I won't be selling as if it does go wrong (which I doubt) it'll just be binned!

Brilliant sound and superb bass which I feel can lack on a lot of radio!

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:I've got that tuner PP and it's bob on

This is one seperate I won't be selling as if it does go wrong (which I doubt) it'll just be binned!

Brilliant sound and superb bass which I feel can lack on a lot of radio!

Why do you have 2 cd players?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Because the Arcam Alpha 7SE CDP is great for more chilled out, laid back music and the CD72 CDP is brilliant for more electronic/bassy music...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts