Denon PMA510AE keeps cutting out at low volume

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I have recently bought a Denon PMA510AE. However, when i try to use it it will only play music at a very low volume before it cuts out completely, then i have to turn the unit off and start again. My basic set up is a laptop which feeds into a mixer and tat goes to the amp. I have also tried using the laptop and an audio jack / my mp3 and an audio jack and turntables and a mixer, all with the same result.

This amp was actually a replacement amp to a NAD 325BEE, which itself was a replacement to a Marantz amp. All suffered the same problem, so now i am beggining to think this is me, and not the amplifiers! The reason i didnt think it was me was becasue i used to have a cheap Cambridge Audio amp, used with the same speakers and speaker cable and it worked for years.

the only thing i can think of is that the problem is either my speakers (very very cheap) or my speaker cable. Could either of these things be causing this persisting problem? Please let em know i am desperate to have this problem sorted once and for all!!

matthewpiano

You don't mention what speakers you are using. It would be useful to know. If they are very cheap it could be that there is an impedance mis-match.

Also, have you made sure that there are no breaks in the speaker cable where the positive/negative sides could be short circuiting? Are there are stray strands of cable at either the amp or speaker end?

This certainly sounds like something between the output stage of your amp and your speakers.

A

Anonymous

i have checked the cable....its old though so there might be something going on under the surface, but its clean at both ends at least.

A

Anonymous

the speakers are "acustic solution" or something like that...i picked them up from Currys for about 60£ over 5 years ago. They are truely rubbish.

matthewpiano

It could be either. I doubt its the amp, given the fact that you've had two others of different make and model that have done the same. I'd start by picking up some different speaker cable - you can get decent multi-strand copper cable from Maplin for a few quid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts