Denon M39 w/ stock speakers or Audioengine A5+?

dewe

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have a mini stero set in my mind. It'll either be;

1- Denon D-M39DAB with stock speakers

or

2- Denon PMA 520 with Dali Zensor 1 set of speakers.

1 or 2 ? I need your advice. Thanks in advance !

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
It will depend on what functionality you require (CD player, DAB etc) and what sources you play your music from.

The D-M39 is the more convenient package being an all-in-one unit, whether it sounds better or worse than the PMA-520 with Zensor 1's is up for you to decide (a demo is a must) - although I would have thought that the seperates route should sound slightly better. The bigger brother to the PMA-520 (the PMA-720) is highly regarded, as are the Zensor 1's.

dewe

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the great reply ! Unfortunately I have no chance to test the both systems, let alone testing one. I am not super knowledable about hi-fi system but being a musician have it's perks.

1- I'll benefit from nearly all aspects of the M39: FM radio, CD player and of course the built in DAC by supplying the system both with USB drives & digital input. But for now it seems I'll mainly be using AUX and USB MP3 function.

2- I maily listen studio music and those genres: jazz, blues, modern jazz, progressive rock, instrumental and some metal.

3- My main problem is: I don't know if there is a huge difference between Dali's and Denon stock speakers. Most probably I'll be upgrading those in the future anyways.

P.S: Also a friend of mine recommended me audioengine a5+. Reviews sounds cool. Any ideas?

Hayche

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I had my denon m39 running with my wharfedale diamond 122s and it was super sweet! I believe you can get them for £159 on gumtree which is a mega deal

i have m39 with stocks in my back room and 122s with a mdac and creek amp in the front room. I would not recommend the stock denon speakers when you can pick up much better speakers for about he same price

buy used kit if you are over budget he m39 goes for peanuts used

dewe

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I value each and every comment. I am glad that I've opened this thread before making a purchase. I'll definetly be looking for replacements for the stocks. Thank you all.

dewe

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Today I had chance to listen Audioengine A5+. It was absouletely gorgeous. But if I buy it, I will have no option other than use it with 3.5 mm input though.

dewe

May 22, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
dewe said:
Today I had chance to listen Audioengine A5+. It was absouletely gorgeous. But if I buy it, I will have no option other than use it with 3.5 mm input though.
it will depend on your sources then, and originally you suggested FM and CD would be useful...

Yes, I am so lost. If I knew that stock Denons would perform %80 of the Audioengines I'd buy the Denon set. If there is a huge gap, I think I am gonna buy Audioengine A5+s.

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I am also considering a speaker upgrade anyway for my main Hifi. Denon DRA-F107DAB. As I have Monitor Audio BR1 with the older Denon in my bedroom (D-M38DAB). The Zensor 1 are the speaker I also have in mind. Are they better than the BR1 ? if so I might move the BR1 onto my DRA-F107DAB. Any other suggestions would be helpful.. I have found a website in UK where Denon DM39DAB & Dali Zensor 1 is for £320.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts