Denon DVD-1930 & SACD

TobesEtc

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Having just bought a new amp (Yamaha A-S500) and speakers (B&W685,) primarily to play FLAC files from a PC through a DacMagic, I was having a play with my Denon DVD-1930 and seeing what SACD playback sounds like. (Which meant buying two SACD's... Pink Floyd & Nick Drake, as you ask...) I thought that I could connect the D1930's Digital Out (Coax) into the DacMagic and get SACD stereo. But no sound... The Denon website seems to say that SACD's are never output via that connector - is that right or do I need to switch it from 6Ch to stereo? I do get sound via the RCA/phono stereo outputs on the D1930, but these are analogue (obviously) and I'd been hoping to extract a digital SACD signal in stereo to put through the DAC. Is that going to be possible any way? The DAC can take Tos or Coax digital inputs. The D1930 also has HDMI, is there such a thing as HDMI to tos/coax converter? (doubt it...) Any suggestions? It's kind of pointless, I guess...but you know how it is..if it's there I want to try it!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
TobesEtc:Having just bought a new amp (Yamaha A-S500) and speakers (B&W685,) primarily to play FLAC files from a PC through a DacMagic, I was having a play with my Denon DVD-1930 and seeing what SACD playback sounds like. (Which meant buying two SACD's... Pink Floyd & Nick Drake, as you ask...) I thought that I could connect the D1930's Digital Out (Coax) into the DacMagic and get SACD stereo. But no sound... The Denon website seems to say that SACD's are never output via that connector - is that right or do I need to switch it from 6Ch to stereo? I do get sound via the RCA/phono stereo outputs on the D1930, but these are analogue (obviously) and I'd been hoping to extract a digital SACD signal in stereo to put through the DAC. Is that going to be possible any way? The DAC can take Tos or Coax digital inputs. The D1930 also has HDMI, is there such a thing as HDMI to tos/coax converter? (doubt it...) Any suggestions? It's kind of pointless, I guess...but you know how it is..if it's there I want to try it!The only way to get digital SACD from player to amp is via HDMI and the amp has to be able to decode the SACD bitstream (most cant) . You will probably need to use the analogue 6 channels (check your amp documentation just in case).

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
hammill:The only way to get digital SACD from player to amp is via HDMI and the amp has to be able to decode the SACD bitstream

....or firewire if your amp and player are on the older side.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
pete321:

hammill:The only way to get digital SACD from player to amp is via HDMI and the amp has to be able to decode the SACD bitstream

....or firewire if your amp and player are on the older side.
True, but I had the 1920 and that does not have firewire, so I was working on that basis

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts