Denon DP-35F

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just aquired the above player and have no prior experience with Vinyl at all. I was just wondering if this is a good/decent player or not? I have read some threads on other sites regarding it, but haven't come across one on WhatHiFi. I have also managed to blag about 300 LP's from an old school library that was closing down with some absolute gems included (Led Zep, The Who, Jeff Beck, Elvis, Bryan Ferry (optional!) Rory Gallaghar etc.) all in mint condition, wrapped in plastic and what seem to be, next to never been played. A good start to a vinyl collection methinks!

Cheers and apologies for the complete novice question.

A

Anonymous

Ok, so that answers that question!

Since listening to a few of the albums on said player the speakers will sporadically cut out. Sometimes the left, sometimes the right. I've tried switching from A to B speaker connects but still no change. The lp's were quite dusty to begin with, but I've cleaned them the best I can. Would dust on the needle cause sound to cut out from one of the speakers? Could there be a problem with the connections on the AMP (also an old, second hand Pioneer A-221).

Again, as you can tell, pretty clueless here like, so any help would be greatly apprecieated.

Cheers.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Dust on the needle could cause a massive amount of distortion, or it might make the needle jump out of the groove and go skating towards the inside of the record where it would start playing the label. It wouldn't cause 1 channel to drop out.

Most likely cause of channel drop-out is a fault with the amp. Try borrowing a different amp to check this. The amp might be fixable with the help of some contact cleaner. If it's not an amp fault it'll be a dodgy connection / bit of wiring somewhere.

To find out whether the DP-35F is decent or not, why don't you compare it with another turntable, preferably one with a similar quality cartridge in it?

Good score on the records, by the way.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

Thought as much with the amp (it is old and pretty beaten up), but I'm unable to borrow a different one to completely confirm this. The other inputs seem to work fine, just the phono one is playing up. Oh well, back to CD's for me for a while until I can afford a new amp.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Since my last post, I'd pretty much given up on the vinyl player until I could afford a new amp, but I managed to get the amp looked at and it seems that the problem did indeed lie in there!! It had a damn good clean and a few of the connections connected (!) so I believe and it is now working like new (ish)! Now onto my next issue; I'm hearing a lot of harshness almost a shrill sound in some vocals and on treble sounds on certain (most) lp's. I've read that this is most likely down to the stylus and or cartridge, which I accept as from doing a bit of research, it looks like they are both the original ones! My question is, could I be doing any harm to my speakers when playing at volume? Not that I do as it don't sound too good! I've also noticed that it's worse on some lp's than others. Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is much worse than London Town by Wings.

Any ideas, comments are as always appreciated.

Cheers

harmankraden

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi all I have a DP23F & a DP35F plus a DP37F Turntables by Denon I have a Pioneer PL930 plus a B&O 5500 turntable I love the way all my Denon's were built & I use my 35&37 TT on both my systems if I remember right the DP35 came out in 1986 and was fitted with a MC not MM this was the last great push of vinyl against the CD & I must say vinyl will always win in my eyes I've had rega turntables in the past & they do not stand up to my DP35 or the 37 turntables I love the fact that you just place the record on the platter and press start & just leave everything to the TT the DP37F is made out of plywood & I'm about to send it off to have a solid wood base, by 1986 most other firms were banging out plastic rubbish TT sold along with rubbish digital amps yet Denon kept up the quality of there decks for us vinyl lovers, I've set the DP45 & the DP37 against the Technics 1210 and both Denon's came on top for sound & build but saying that my TT were made for playing music not ripping a 12" to death.

The Denon's are well worth buying if you want a true quality sound plus a well built TT you can't do any better the DP23F is a nice cheap way of getting your hands on a Denon for the first time & well worth the money if like me you was about in the 80's you will know just how good Denon HiFi unit's were built & Sound & today you get value for money as why pay over £800 to get something that is no better than the DP23F :) :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts