Denon DM37 + headphones = hiss?

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

I was hoping some people using the Denon DM37 micro system could check this out for me. I had two of these units, and both had to be returned as when using headphones (Sennheiser HD497) and taking the denon off 'source direct' mode (i.e. any change to treble or bass, up or down, or turning on the bass boost) would result in quite a lot of hiss through the headphones (think of a tape with no dolby NR)

I was wondering if this could have something to do with the sensitivity of the headphones? But surely there should be a hiss all the time, it shouldn't disappear in source direct mode? The headphones are completely silent on all other systems, decent amps (NAD C320bee, Rotel ra-01 etc etc). I think the hiss was also present through the speakers, but not really noticeable unless you were listening for it in a completely silent environment.

I also thought the denon was a little bass light, hence why i was trying to turn the bass up a little. I'm still tempted by it, but would like to figure out this problem first!

Any ideas as to what was going on?? I guess my only definitive answer would be to take the headphones along to a dealer and check out a display unit to see if the problem is still there. I suspect a design fault rather than both of the units i got being duff though.

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure my sister was complaining a couple of days ago about a similar problem, as well as not being able to alter the volume or something. I'll try and remember to ask her tomorrow and confirm if she has the same problems.

I guess if you want to listen through phones your going to have to use or buy an amplifier. The Denon has Aux out, so you should be able to hook one up.

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Yes it looks like my sister has the same problem, she describes it as a hum that is continuously audible regardless of where the volume is set. This is only present when playing a CD though, so it does look like a design issue.

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Odd. Mines was definitely a 'hiss' and present on all sources, including aux in. Only appeared when source direct wasn't disabled - presumably the channel with the tone control has some design issue. Very disappointing as it makes headphones basically unusable.

Looks like I'd be better looking at the onkyo...

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Ah sorry, of course I meant similar - it isn't the same issue obviously!

Either way it's a bit of a shame, the headphone out sounded rotten through my HD600's when I tried them a couple of weeks ago, don't remember hearing any noise though.

Have you tried hooking the Aux out to another amp? Though this defeats the object of having a compact unit, it may be worth a shot.

A

Anonymous

ye mine hisses too but it isn't audiable when i start listening to music only imbetween tracks and quiet bits of radio

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
This issue was bought up on a similar thread a week or two ago. I checked mine out and couldn't detect any hum/hiss at all. If I remember rightly SIZZER, another forum member with a DM37, checked his out as OK as well.

A

Anonymous

Did you return the unit? I have recently purchased one and I am getting the same problem. I checked out the display units at both Currys and Comet and they both had the same problem. I could hear the hiss on the speakers over the shop noise. A friend has a DM37 and gets the same problem so it looks like a widespread problem.

A google search turns up lots more occurrences of this problem, so it strikes me as odd that this system has won so many awards with such a fundamental problem.

TRENDING THREADS