Denon DM37 but which speakers

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Just a quick one..

My parent-in-laws want a small system for their dining room (about 10m by 14m furniture is: a welsh dresser, dining table, nice thick carpet and heavy curtains over the patio doors).

They really like the look of the Denon DM37 (they loved the Arcam Solo Mini as well but nearly keeled over at the price...). My other half has sold her Cyrus 8, XPower, 6SE CDP and B&W CM7 speakers today to a colleague from work as her folks may have used that but it would have been too much IMO.

What speakers do people have with the Denon and how are they for sound (i.e. good vocals, bass etc...). They listen to a lot of Motown and music like Dean MArtin, Nat King Cole and original R&B (Four Tops, Temptations etc...) They also like a lot of the Hed Kandi and electronica music I listen to so they'd like good bass and good vocals/midrange etc...

Would the M/A BR2's be ok with the mighty Denon or would they sap too much power? I think other speakers on the list would be the Wharfedale 10.1's, Tannoy F1 customs or maybe the Dali Lektor 2's.

Would I also be right in thinking that the Denon just wouldnt be enough for the B&W 685's?

Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've already suggested them and it was a 'no-thanks' straight away due to their looks. I have to agree TBH; ugly speakwrs!

They'd like a wood finish as it'll gel better with the dining room furniture etc....

How would the M/A RS1's cope do you think? They appear fairly easy to drive!

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
You'll see in my signature that I plumped for the M/A BR1s. I can heartily recommend them. I bought them in black finish to match my room, not sure what other finishes are available. Think they look better without the grilles, but thats just personal preference.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion.

I've heard the BR1's and the BR2's and I didnt get on with the BR1's at all; they lacked decent midrange and bass for me and I know that wouldnt go down well with the folk-in-laws!

Any further suggestions anyone?

matthewpiano

Dan - just make sure they play with the volume control, particularly around 10, 11, 12, and 13 before they buy the Denon. Its a cracking sounding unit but the volume control is rubbish and spoiled it for me because I just didn't feel I had enough adjustment to get the right volume level.

The Tannoy F1s work really well with it.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure they would work fine, though not had a chance to hear that combo. Wouldn't that mean spending a fair bit more on the speakers than the system itself?

The MS902i is another speaker I've seen paired with the DM37, that was the Richer Sounds package. Though I preferred the BR1s after auditioning.

TRENDING THREADS