Denon AVR4308 and Apple Time Capsule

Antony Brown

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Help please. I am hoping that someone will be able to tell me how to access the music stored in iTunes on my Mac via my Apple Time Capsule. The Time Capsule does not have an iTunes server so I cannot, presently, listen to the iTunes music without my Mac being switched on.

Is there any software that I can buy that will allow the Time Capsule to either a) act as an iTunes server (once I have transferred my iTunes folder to it) and be accessible to the Denon or b) is there any other software available so that I can use the Time Capsule as a standard NAS and play the music through the AVR4308? Would there be a way to automatically feed files that are loaded onto iTunes onto this "Time Capsule NAS"?

Does anyone have any advice on whether any of this music would be compressed? Most of my iTunes library is recorded in Apple Lossless or AIFF and I'd like to keep this level of sound quality.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Antony Brown

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Regarding the above, as I did not make myself clear: I intend to hook up the Denon to the Time Capsule via ethernet. I want to access/play the files directly via the AVR4308 and not involve the Mac at all. I hope to only use the Mac when I am adding more music. Presently I do not know how to access the music without the Mac being switched on and the iTunes library being open. I hope to bypass this requirement. All help will be greatly received.

A

Anonymous

Alas, the short answer is no. I store my iTunes library on a Time Capsule and listen via various airport expresses, but it does require my laptop to be on and running iTunes. I wish it were otherwise! It's possible that an AppleTV might allow you to specify an alternate location for the iTunes library (can't confirm as haven't played with the new one yet), but I'd say it's unlikely. As an alternative, you can stream from an iPod/Phone so you could put a subset of your library on there for when your computer is off? this is something I often do... Hope that helps and if anyone has better ideas, I'd be equally grateful! ;-)

Antony Brown

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
As the last post is 3 years old I imagine that this info is surplus to requirements, but the Sonos system can access music stored on a Tine Capsule without needing to have a computer switched on. If you typed "time capsule" into their help function it details how to set it up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts