DB1i Group Test

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
PP - the DB1i was tested in Hi-Fi Choice's July 2010 Grouptest for speakers between 895-1450 quid, along with the Spendor SA1, MAD My Clapton, Monopulse 62S, Roksan Kandy K2-TR-5 and the Triangle Trio.

The test winner was the SA1 and the DB1i got a Hi-Fi Choice Recommended Product award. The reviewer was loudspeaker guru Paul Messenger who said that it was actually a close call deciding between the two but the SA1 had a slightly better presentation.

Hope this helps!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i'm sure the db1i has been group tested, i seem to remember a test including proac 110, scm11 and focus 110. going back a few years though, maybe. or maybe i imagined it after reading so much about those speakers when trying to concoct an audition list.
emotion-2.gif

Singslinger:

PP - the DB1i was tested in Hi-Fi Choice's July 2010 Grouptest for speakers between 895-1450 quid, along with the Spendor SA1, MAD My Clapton, Monopulse 62S, Roksan Kandy K2-TR-5 and the Triangle Trio.

The test winner was the SA1 and the DB1i got a Hi-Fi Choice Recommended Product award. The reviewer was loudspeaker guru Paul Messenger who said that it was actually a close call deciding between the two but the SA1 had a slightly better presentation.

Hope this helps!

As I've never purchased Hi-Fi Choice I'm unware, until now of course, but it seems to be one of the missed speakers in the sub-£1000 arena. The only test with WHFI S&V was back in 2007 (I think) when the DB1+ connected to an all Arcam set-up (A70 and CD73) and it won it's group price bracket.

I was hoping to see whether it would still "cut the mustard" with the likes of EB2s, ATC SCM11s etc. It would be a popular choice.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I agree - the DB1i is an excellent speaker.

Come to think of it, they were recommended by What Hifi? as being a good match for the Naim Uniti in the 2009 Awards issue, which suggests that WHF did indeed test and review them...?

A

Anonymous

+1 for the DB1i

I tested a lot of speakers before finally finding a pair of speakers that ticked all my boxes.

WHF are spot on with there pairing of the pmc's with naim equiptment its a superb match IMO.

Singslinger:

I agree - the DB1i is an excellent speaker.

Come to think of it, they were recommended by What Hifi? as being a good match for the Naim Uniti in the 2009 Awards issue, which suggests that WHF did indeed test and review them...?

Superb with Arcam too. Just think: a shoot out with the ATCs and EB2s would be some Group Test.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to a tip on a recent thread that the DB1is are best placed 8cm from a wall (I think it was plastic penguin), mine are now sounding better than ever - really has got the most out of the transmission line bass. I've never heard them on the end of any other kit, they are very lively with my Cyrus, I like the sound though. I originally bought them with a 6XP (now running PreXP and X Power), the dealer said they would be driven fine by the 6XP but the X Power made so much difference - again, as others have said, they like power up them. Funny that my dealer didn't pass on any of this very useful information (positioning, power) when I was auditioning them...

Craig M.:i'm sure the db1i has been group tested, i seem to remember a test including proac 110, scm11 and focus 110. going back a few years though, maybe. or maybe i imagined it after reading so much about those speakers when trying to concoct an audition list.
emotion-2.gif

I've scanned most of my WHFI mags and the Group Test you maybe thinking of is in the April 2006 edition. There they test in order: Dali Ikon 2, Neat Motive 3, Opera Mini, ProAc Studio 110 and Spendor S3E. Sadly, no DB1is or DB1+ (as then).

Edit - just looked at Feb 2011 and the classified section only has the DB1is under (FT) First Test.

C'mon WHFI S&V get some PMCs tested against the so-called greats around that price bracket...
emotion-41.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts