DAV-IS10 question

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
As I recall, a few people on this forum that have a DAV-IS10 home cinema. When I bought mine, I think someone from WHF confirmed I'd be able to use the 'spare' digital input for a Blu-ray player when I go one. 

Right now, I've got stereo audio from the TV into the L & R phono plugs (on the 'TV' function), and the Sky box into the Digital Optical (on the 'SAT/CABLE' function) so we can enjoy Sky movies in 5.1, and it all works really well.

So, question is, when I get my new Blu-ray player, can I just plug it into the Digital Coaxial input (on the 'TV' function). As I understand it, the DAV-IS10 will give priority to the digital input on a given function, and revert to analog if nothing's coming in to the digital input. In other words, if I select the 'TV' function, but the Blu-ray player is playing, it'll give me digital 5.1 from the Blu-ray. But if the Blu-ray's off, I could select 'TV' and get stereo 'analog' audio from the TV (not that really I'd need to do that, because we generally watch TV via Sky).

Would be great to hear from anyone who's using one of these with a Blu-ray player as to how you have it set up and how it works... or from anyone else (WHF?) as to whether my plan seems relatively sane...

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
C'mon, I know there's people out there with a DAV-IS10 apart from me.... hasn't anyone plugged a blu-ray into it???

A

Anonymous

Hi - I have the system, with a PS3 and SkyHD with the KDL40W4000 and found the inputs on the unit limited. I use the HDMI input for the TV, the SkyHD box uses the optical input, but this then left the PS3 without any obvious route to get 5.1 through the system using its optical out (assume this would be the equivalent of your Blu-ray player - in fact I wanted 5.1 for games and was intending to use the PS3 to watch Blu-ray as well).

In the end I bought an optical to coaxial converter for about £50 which is a powered little box which converts the optical out from the PS3 to a coaxial input into the IS10 and allows 5.1 from the PS3. You then have to adjust the settings on the IS10 on the Sat/Cable function to default to Coaxial before Optical (or somthing like that). I now listen to Sky HD in 5.1 on the TV function, and PS3/BluRay films on Sat/Cable function, and DVDs and music on the DVD function.

It was interesting that the WHS&V ultimate setup was shown as a PS3, SkyHD and the TV, but didn't explain that there aren't actually enough inputs on the IS10 to get 5.1 without doing what I've done - unless there is another way?

It could have done with another couple of optical inputs, but thats the compromise with a compact all-in-one unit I suppose.

Don't know if that helps or not?

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
blackalex1969:
Hi - I have the system, with a PS3 and SkyHD with the KDL40W4000 and found the inputs on the unit limited. I use the HDMI input for the TV, the SkyHD box uses the optical input, but this then left the PS3 without any obvious route to get 5.1 through the system using its optical out (assume this would be the equivalent of your Blu-ray player - in fact I wanted 5.1 for games and was intending to use the PS3 to watch Blu-ray as well).

In the end I bought an optical to coaxial converter for about £50 which is a powered littleÿbox which converts the optical out from the PS3 to a coaxial input into the IS10 and allows 5.1 from the PS3. You then have to adjust the settings on the IS10 on the Sat/Cable function to default to Coaxial before Optical (or somthing like that). I now listen to Sky HD in 5.1 on the TV function, and PS3/BluRay films on Sat/Cable function, and DVDs and music on the DVD function.

It was interesting that the WHS&V ultimate setup wasÿshown as a PS3, SkyHD and the TV, but didn't explain thatÿthere aren't actually enough inputs on the IS10 to get 5.1 without doing what I'veÿdone - unless there is another way?

It could haveÿdone with another couple of optical inputs, but thats the compromise with a compact all-in-one unit I suppose.

Don't know if that helps or not?

ÿ

That actually does help, thanks, in that you're successfully using it how I'm planning to, albeit the opposite way round (Sky on TV, and Blu-ray on Sat/Cable). Right now we're looking at a dedicated blu-ray player that has digital coax as well as optical, so should be a bit simpler!ÿ

A

Anonymous

I got an optical to coaxial convertor off Ebay for around £15.00, works fine for my Xbox 1 to amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts