DAC + Headphone amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm currently setting up a second computer system in a separate room to my main system. Up until now I have been using my Benchmark as a headphone amp and all has been OK. I now have two good sets of headphones so would like to set the second room up with it's own DAC and headphone amp. I still have my Beresford because I don't like to get rid though I'm looking at spending a little more to make the most of my cans.

The problem I have is I would really like a Graham Slee (possibly one of the Novo kits when they come out) but as I want to connect it to the digital out of the computer I will also need a DAC.

1. Are there any combined DAC/headphone amps £0-500 that are worth considering?

2. If I got the Novo what level of DAC should I be looking at to use with it?

Grazie. 

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Why not buy the Graham Slee and use it with the Beresford? you can always upgrade the DAC later, if the Beresford isn't up to the task...

Also, what headphones do you have?

A

Anonymous

I have precisely the same headphone amp and headphones as you but also Grado SR325.

Not sure if I could go a little higher than the Beresford with such a headphone amp though and would prefer a combined unit if poss.ÿ

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:
I have precisely the same headphone amp and headphones as you but also Grado SR325.

Not sure if I could go a little higher than the Beresford with such a headphone amp though and would prefer a combined unit if poss.

For a second room computer system, I'd probably opt for the Musical Fidelity X-Can V8... supposed to be an excellent match to the AKG K701s + has a USB DAC...

A

Anonymous

Thanks Ajani I might see if I can try one out. Off topic did you try any other DACs in its pricerange before you settled on the Benchmark?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:Thanks Ajani I might see if I can try one out. Off topic did you try any other DACs in its pricerange before you settled on the Benchmark?

Nope... The only other DAC that I considered in the price range was the PS Audio Digital Link iii..... but that DAC doesn't have a built in headphone amp (and buying an external headphone amp would have been overbudget at the time)... The other option was to buy a Musical X-Can V8 and combine it with a cheap DAC like the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic or the Musical Fidelity V-DAC, but I was afraid the cheap DACs might be the weak link in the setup... Especially since I plan on getting an amp and speakers, so the DAC will have to serve them as well...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts