DAC Equivalence

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:WHF staffers - please complete this sentence:

"A Cambridge Audio DACMagic makes your computer sound about as good as ________________ (insert name of CD player here)"

...you'd expect an adding machine to.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site

"A Cambridge Audio DACMagic makes your computer sound about as good as ________________ (insert name of CD player here)"

Yes, I thought that the DAC reviews were a bit "let's squeeze them all on this page". I was expecting details of how the DACs worked with different cd players and as John has asked, maybe intimated at what sort of level of cd player they could better.

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:

...you'd expect an adding machine to.

And yet that's what the (also-reviewed-but-I-won't-give-it-away) Naim HDX is, no?

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:WHF staffers - please complete this sentence:

Yes, I thought that the DAC reviews were a bit "let's squeeze them all on this page". I was expecting details of how the DACs worked with different cd players and as John has asked, maybe intimated at what sort of level of cd player they could better.

Yeah I knew it was a roundup and would be necessarily brief, but all it tells me is how good they are in relation to each other.......

A

Anonymous

I was hoping for a longer review too, they get about a sixth of a page each if that. A comparison article and howto, as Octopo andÿBlunny89ÿhave been discussing would be helpful

ÿHow to set up iTunes, music storage, Raid for backup, Apple Lossless etc

Then a comparison of what a DacMagic and Apple Lossless is equivalent too in terms of market CD player position, eg 540C, 640C or Cyrus6, Cyrus8 etc. It would help in matching the right amp and speakers with the source, eg is it worth getting a 1000 pound amp and speaker set for 192/256/320k AACs or only lossless, some blind listenings would be fascinating, especially against CDs.

It would even be worth featuring on the cover

thanks

Gavin (buying a DacMagic, once he has figured out which amp and speakers to get.)ÿ

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That longer kind of feature is being prepped for our Ultimate Guide to 2009, due out in December. Right now, we're focusing on reviewing as much kit as possible for our Awards judging - hence 80+ reviews in the November issue....

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare

Good to hear you'll be writing a feature on it,

looking forward to it

Gavinÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts