DAB + question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi i've not long spent just over £100 on a roof top dab ariel fitted by an expert, now im starting to hear dab plus will be hitting us soon, my question is in 2 parts....

1. what is the plus?

2. will i need to change my ariel or will it pick it up fine?

thanks in advance to any help with this

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
1 A more efficient system of coding for radio broadcasting which is used in other countries to give better quality of radio sound (or more stations of poor quality).

2.If the UK ever gets round to using it, it will almost certainly be at wavelengths similar to DAB so your aerial will almost certainly do. Don't worry, we will all be using broadband or satellite for radio except in cars by the time it happens.

Andrew

A

Anonymous

Using broadband to access radio? I doubt it. Constant buffering problems. The BBC's complaints site is littered with people who can't listen to radio over the internet without programmes cutting out.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
At home I generally listen to radio using FreeSat through a HiFi system. On a very few occasions I have had a slight loss of signal on ClassicFM during to severe weather problems.

I also listen to internet radio up to 320 kb/s through my Sonos System without any cut outs, even though my broadband speed is only about 1.4 mb/s. I can listen to stations throughout the world with no problems at all.

The sound quality on DAB is poor in comparison, and that is more liable to drop outs unless the radio is very well placed. (Unfortunately the FM signal is poor, even with a roof aerial, where I live.)

DAB is OK for the news and some discussion programmes, but I would not consider using it for listening to music.

Andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts