Cyrus with Bass Issues - need help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is a strange one for me and I hope someone can share some light on this.

My system is all Cyrus (8vs2, 8 Power & CD 8se) with B&W805s speakers. It is a new system but I'm not happy with the Bass at all. Anything above 1500Hz is great! Fantastic detail etc. I can not ask for better! But the low end is poor and it does not move air at all.

My system is setup in both bi-wire and bi-amp. The interconnects goes out of the 8vs2 (normal out put) into the "chain" input of the 8power. The low end of the speakers are driven by the 8vs2 (70W/ch) and the high end is driven by the 8power (60W/ch). That is basically 130W per speaker.

I love the 805s as I know they can move air together with great quality so I know it is not the speakers.

When sitting center in my nice chair listening I can hear the bass behind the speaker and not in front coming out of the speaker?? Also, when the volume goes to high the amp cut out....??

I have a feeling that the Cyrus amps are not strong enough to drive the speakers?? Is this possible?? It feels like they lack power, as if the transformers are too small?? The speakers are recomended 50W-120W speakers so I can not understand why this is happening?

What shall I do?? Sell the Cyrus amps (close to 1 month old :-() and get Rotel?? Or is there a way how I can save the Cyrus and get some air moving?

CORNE

A

Anonymous

My system comprises of an 8vs2, CD6SE, Chord Odyssey cable and,crucially, a pair of Dynaudio Excite X16 speakers.

The X16s are reviewed by What Hi Fi as a 4 star product. They are wrong. The sound quality is awesome and bass is rock solid without being boomy.

I am not convinced by bi-wiring (neither are Dynaudio).

I'd suggest you change your speakers and get some Chord cable.

A

Anonymous

You haven't said what speaker cable you are using.
If everything is only just 1 mth old it is normal until everything is run in to be experiencing the effects you are.

Reckon about 250 hrs before things properly loosen up, especially the bass. Would give it more time before going out and swapping cable or even equipment!

You must be driving the Cyrus really hard for them to be cutting out, or there's a fault with them.
A chat with the dealer perhaps?

A

Anonymous

How big is your room? where are you speakers placed? how close to the rear wall? Have you measured your room, maybe you have a bass null, cables will do nowt.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Trevor

The B&W speakers need a solid 200hours plus to be run in properly; my other halfs CM7's took a good couple of months to start sounding their best; my 685's are being run in as we speak but theyre still not fully loosened up.

Also; the Cyrus gear will need some good running time; have you done as Cyrus suggest and have your CDP on non stop for a good 3 days?

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for the feedback!

The room is not too small it is just short of 40sq meters. The speakers are about 40cm from the wall. I'm using Audioquest FLX speaker cables and Audioquest innerconnects.

ÿ

I will run it a bit longer as I read it some where else as well that they need to run in for a while. I just thought that you need to feel the bass even a low volume...

ÿ

Will let you all know how it turns out.

ÿ

Thanks,

CORNEÿ

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

40sqM!! No wonder bass sounds lost, I have a pair of Kudos C30 in 20sqM, I would have thought in a room that size a bigger pair of speakers would have been better.

A

Anonymous

Your room is very large indeed, but do not despair as the new speakers will need time running in, particularly in respect of the bass.

Do bear in mind that its possible that they do need a more powerful amp or that simply you were use to cheaper components and speakers which give the illusion of deep bass but which is totally woolly and out of control. The Cyrus amps will give you precise and well timed bass - this may be something you are simply not used to.

A

Anonymous

Tricky one. Although running in will help, it's not going to add that much to the bass. Very large room, small speakers being driven well. Perhaps you need a sub or some floorstanders. See how you get on as you might also become more accustomed to the sound after some time.

A

Anonymous

Hi, i've got cyrus equipment myself, two 8 powers, and they couldnt drive the 800s properly. Had to eventually get the new cm9s, very nice. I think you would need at least 2 xpowers with psx-r's, or even 2 monos! So, new amps or speakers id say.

A

Anonymous

Once again, thanks a lot for the feedback!

ÿ

I do think I'm part of the problem as well, honestly I only listen to it over the weekends, which means that they need more run time..... They are running in as we speak and I will leave them on over night.

I don't believe the room is too big as it is more wide than deep, so lets see..ÿ

This is actually my first Hi-Fi set, as I had a Yamaha 2700 AV with B&W603 (L&R), 602 (surround) with the 600 serious Center. I'm living in Hong Kong now so not really the set-ups for here and I left them in SA.ÿ

I will keep you all up to date on the progress..

ÿ

Cheers,

CORNEÿ

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi!
Ive got the 805s connected up to some musical fidelity gear. My room is small ish and the bass is excellent- stunning speakers. I can only say that the size of the room is playing a part. The cyrus stuff also tends to be on the lean side which may futher exacerbate the situation. Also i would personally say 8s are underpowered for 805s (from my experience). The amp i now have goes overkill with 550 wpc but makes them sound amazing! Running in wont help too much imo, but as iggle says see if you get used to the sound.
Anyway good luck it will be good to hear how you get on!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Look into adding a sub. It's gonna be the only way to add that missing bass back into your system without resorting to selling your kit.

I use a PV1 with my stuff and it sounds awesome.

A

Anonymous

Running in will make a noticeable difference. You will find the sound will become fuller across the range, deeper and more easily driven. The comment about the bass not projectng out off the speakers indicates they are tight.

I agree with Chris's advice, you might find (after everything is run in) presence still lacking so a musical sub will be just the job. You have to be careful here as few subs have the speed and good timing for music.
The PV1 and MA RSW12 are two of the best.

A

Anonymous

All,

ÿ

Just an update as promised! I actually feel a little silly about this...

I ran everything in for more and 48 hours and I could immediatly hear the bass come through. When cranking it up I could hear the speakers are still stiff and after a couple of hours at a decent volume it is absolutly fantastic!!

The Cyrus system is brilliant! All music types, from Rammstein to BB King it is a trueÿpleasureÿand it live up to the expectations! With that said.... the B&W 805s making the system come to its fullÿpotential! The 805s as far as I'm concern (and I have always been a fan) is one of the best pair of speakers available for the money!!

I will load some photos for you all to see at the dedicated section.

ÿ

Thanks for all the help and I'm a very happy & proud Cyrus and B&W owner!!

ÿ

CORNEÿ

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

got the exact system sounds biamped, amazing but for me the bw 805s just didnt do it for me not for three grand i sold em bought some polk audio lsi9 and cant believe how good they are for a third of the price especially the ring radiator tweeter,and dual drivers the bass fully out performs the 805s very full, tight and punchy they really match the cyrus gear very well i guess i just got lucky with the match.these are not your regular polks they are the flagship and have not been changed for 10 years.hey see the new 805 diamonds 6000 what a f----- joke gimme a break.Hey enjoy that cyrus gear i love it

A

Anonymous

good speakers .... good amp/cdp ..... problem could be with the speaker placement ....

you have a good sized listening room .... try this link which is a speaker placement calculator (to be used as a rough guide) ....

use that and experement before buying a sub or additional equipment

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts