Cyrus Unofficial forms...must read?!?

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
So after reading some of the forms at the Cyrus Unofficial there has been a trend by some who think that this magazine over the years and to date has kept Cyrus afloat, and now with the introduction of the SE models it was a make it or break it for the company. Over the past few years Cyrus has taken the inside front cover as a advertisement page hence leaving some to believe that there is some conspiracy out there and to make such a bold statement as this like stocks are involved? Personally Im sick and tired of these people and there conspiracy theories about this magazine company and Cyrus holding hands like little school children off to the first day of kindergarden. I happened to like my Cyrus kit and this read very much...now you know that! So I would like to thank the countless people on these forms, involved in the magazine and the others who took this personally because this has been one of the friendliest places to visit and discuss the things we love IMO. I wouldn't "upgrade" you guys for anything in the world.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Fair comment and I agree there's a lot of unnecessary rumors or as you call it conspiracies. However, it is a sad fact that some of british hifi is in dire straights and one big name has, I believe, recently changed to far eastern ownership, others are in severe financial difficulties. I've not long ago seen some of the figures/accounts (2nd hand I have to say) and it does'nt make nice reading. Anyway, if a product is no good, you may be able to convince the punter otherwise short term but it would'nt last long. Still, there are magazine favorites ie. HIFI+ (everything that costs the same as a small car), HifiChoice (Arcam), WHS&V (cyrus) HifiNews&RR (musical fidelity). Of course that does'nt mean any more than that the people working there like some of those products amongst many others. Nothing wrong with that even if I personally dont always agree.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think you can safely say the guys at this mag are independent of any advertising. For a start if the inside front cover was to come free from the Cyrus bookings there would be a stampede to book it...

I do think different mags have different preferences as above though, Arcam do seem to get much better reviews these days in certain other publications, HFN like Astin Trew but it's not given much rating elsewhere etc. That's what makes it interesting. All the mags have given the latest Cyrus SE products good reviews although perhaps not worldbeater statusÿ

A

Anonymous

Mike ... I think you are more than a bit confused.

The above mentioned forum is run by Cyrus enthusiasts for Cyrus enthusiasts - why would they want to undermine the Cyrus brand - most have lot more invested in it than you do!

The impartiality of hifi mags is a valid point of discussion to the point where WHF feel its important to stress their impartiality ... see part of the website which discusses how WHF review kit.

Its also true that a WHF award/recommendation carries enormous influence and can make or break a product and there is no doubt that Cyrus has benefited enormously from such endorsements, etc. Those Cyrus owners who you refer to above happen to believe that Cyrus products are great and have invested their own money to prove it - what interest would they have in undermining the products they own? Think about it.

Whether or not the members of another forum think WHF is impartial is irrelevant and no point for discussion on this forum. I am not sure what the forum rules are but I would ask the mods to delete this weird and confused thread.

P.S. Apologies if I misunderstood what you were trying to say ... but what you have written is more than a little confusing.

A

Anonymous

A copy of my popst on the Cyrus Unofficial forum. You may want to go to the thread to fully get the context, but you should have a good feel for it based on the things that have gone before in this thread.....

"I recently upgraded from a long owned TEAC Ref 300 to a 8vs2, CD8x and
ProAc 110 speakers. I can honestly say that I am more than delighted,
and have no buyers remorse in any way, shape or form.

What HiFi were instrumental in my decision to buy Cyrus. Also instrumental were internet fora like this.

I
think that 95% of people will buy a hi-fi and use it for many years
before changing again. Buying hi-fi is an expensive and confusing
business, and there is no doubt that people rely not just on word of
mouth, but also on established brands. In my case, whenever I buy a
piece of kit, whether hi-fi or something like a digital camera or TV, I
always start with what I believe to be an impartial publication like
WHF. I use it to give me ideas on how to establish a budget, what I
can expect for that budget, and the 5 star products in that space. I
do not consider 4 star products or below. Why should I? I'm not an
experienced hi-fi reviewer, and I don't have the time or inclination to
research a market that has enough 5 star products to keep me occupied
for some time anyway.

I suspect that it is this type of approach
that irks the hi-fi industry. I'm in sales and have been for 25 years,
selling IT products and services. I'm very competitive. If someone
rejects my product, I always assume they are wrong. This doesn't make
either me or them right however, because there are so many factors that
go into buying something, both objective and emotional. Of course many
in hi-fi think the WHF awards are a joke - it's because they aren't
winning.

Regarding the Cyrus accounts, AFAIK, all accounts have
to be read in some form of context. Assuming that Cyrus have their
costs under control, on the upside they have award winning products
that sound and perform fabulously well, at prices that aren't mental.
To me, that talks of a bright future, assuming a well managed company.
My only concern would be one of growth. It's all very well having
great reviews, but availability appears limited, and they aren't
reaching the type of consumer who wanders into Currys, although maybe
that's a leap too far. Not every company wants global domination, and
is happy to just find a niche.

I for one will be very happy to spend my money with Cyrus as and when I feel the need to upgrade."

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Septicman:
Regarding the Cyrus accounts, AFAIK, all accounts have
to be read in some form of context. Assuming that Cyrus have their
costs under control, on the upside they have award winning products
that sound and perform fabulously well, at prices that aren't mental.
To me, that talks of a bright future, assuming a well managed company.
My only concern would be one of growth. It's all very well having
great reviews, but availability appears limited, and they aren't
reaching the type of consumer who wanders into Currys, although maybe
that's a leap too far. Not every company wants global domination, and
is happy to just find a niche.

I for one will be very happy to spend my money with Cyrus as and when I feel the need to upgrade."

I think you underestimate the seriousness of the situation. I believe one of the largest (the largest?) names in british hifi has been bought up just recently by a large foreign consortium because they were not able to meet re-payment on outstanding debts. An other (very well known) company is doing far from ok despite good reviews. British Hifi is not in a healthy state and it will get worse.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:I think you underestimate the seriousness of the situation. I believe one of the largest (the largest?) names in british hifi has been bought up just recently by a large foreign consortium because they were not able to meet re-payment on outstanding debts. An other (very well known) company is doing far from ok despite good reviews. British Hifi is not in a healthy state and it will get worse.

Awww come on - stop teasing us and name names!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
drummerman:I think you underestimate the seriousness of the situation. I believe one of the largest (the largest?) names in british hifi has been bought up just recently by a large foreign consortium because they were not able to meet re-payment on outstanding debts. An other (very well known) company is doing far from ok despite good reviews. British Hifi is not in a healthy state and it will get worse.

Awww come on - stop teasing us and name names!

I got this third party Andrew, hence the 'I believe' and although I have no reason not to believe the source/s I can't see any point in naming the company (s) concerned. I wish them well and I'm sure when they are ready it will be made public. I'm sure you would be one of the first ones to be informed. No teasing intended.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you want to get in contact via email I can give you the information I have. I'm sure you have the necessary resources to validate it or otherwise, then make a decision whether it is necessary to publicise without harming the company if indeed this is the case. Furthermore, I just read that another well known british manufacturer has been bought out by an investment consortium. The deal has been finalised and its official so no harm in naming ... Meridian. Again, no teasing and you probably know about that too.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:If you want to get in contact via email I can give you the information I have. I'm sure you have the necessary resources to validate it or otherwise, then make a decision whether it is necessary to publicise without harming the company if indeed this is the case. Furthermore, I just read that another well known british manufacturer has been bought out by an investment consortium. The deal has been finalised and its official so no harm in naming ... Meridian. Again, no teasing and you probably know about that too.

Give us a clue - you can always add a caveat etc. to cover yourself?

I could also be a cynic and say that people with a vested interest in a company might post on unofficial forums or even magazine ones, pumping up the publicity of certain products.....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No, I can't see what purpose that would serve other than perhaps cause problems to the company which is probably the last thing they need. Best leave it at that.

As to your last comment, I don't think thats the case in this instance.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
emotion-44.gif
I am reading but will not join in on this one.

Jitter

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
All Internet Forums find themselves with comments made that many of the participants disagree with. I have seen some such comments made on this site too, on different subjects. But that is the nature, and often the value, of such sites. Free speech in action... However, when inappropriate comments are made, right thinking individuals tend to argue down the person making the post.

If you take the time to read the particular thread in total you will see this to be the case with CU.

As a Cyrus owner, What HiFi subscriber and CU contributor I would just like to put the record straight.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well with the new product Cyrus will be introducing, I really don't think they have anything to worry about. Meridian has been a known thing for a while now - when your entry level CD player and amp starts at nigh on £2k each, you're immediately limiting your customer base. And introducing a glorified clock radio for £1,500 isn't really a step in the right direction.

There have been so many rumours over the years, most of them amount to nothing by the way, that I've lost count, and forgotten all abut them. Years ago Arcam were rumoured to be close to folding - did it happen? No! Sometimes the yearly figures don't tell the whole story. Sometimes a manufacturer realise they've been left behind and continue with their current models whilst they invest in the R&D for next years models. Arcam are a very good example of this. Their AVR250/AVR350 were way behind everyone else AV amps regarding features and gadgets - Arcam spent a lot of time developing while grnning and bearing the situation, and then hit back with the AVR600, and soon the AVR500. Turn around!

Many companies have been taken over by overseas companies, but have continued to develop and trade as they did before without change. I personally wouldn't believe a word until anything is made public.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts