Cyrus kit too bright ?

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
I currently have Denon DM31 and Quad 11L speakers. Now that the new Cyrus CD6 SE is out there are some goods deal on the "old" CD6S, so have just been to Sevenoaks (£399 new) to listen the CD6S + 8VS amp through my Quad speakers

I have to say I was disappointed. Sure there was a whole lot of new detail dug up - particularly midrange and treble, but I found that there was less bass - or it felt less balanced because the music was much more at the top end and I found the treble so forward and bright sometimes it bordered on harshness

Obviously this is my own opinion but I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts. The other kit I aim to listen to is the Arcam Solo Mini which perhaps will give a more "balanced" sound

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Cyrus integrated amplifiers can come across as a little bright to some. These are picking out more detail, and tend to be a little leaner sounding than some of the competition. This can be tailored with a careful choice of speakers.

Things tend to become more balanced when you move into pre/power territory. Compare the PreVS2 and 6 or 8 Power with the 8VS2 and you'll hear straight away the differences between the two. For me, this is where Cyrus really starts from.

Of course, the other reason is that the Cyrus is controlling the Quad speakers far better than the DM31 ever could, which comes across to many as having less bass. Because the DM31 can't control the 11L's, you're hearing a softer, more pronounced bass that sounds pleasing, but lacks any definition and punch. You're hearing is a tighter, more controlled sound coming from your Quads with the Cyrus.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
Of course, the other reason is that the Cyrus is controlling the Quad speakers far better than the DM31 ever could, which comes across to many as having less bass. Because the DM31 can't control the 11L's, you're hearing a softer, more pronounced bass that sounds pleasing, but lacks any definition and punch. You're hearing is a tighter, more controlled sound coming from your Quads with the Cyrus.

I think this is a good point. While my system may sound 'bass-light' to some I find that it is more accurately conveying the true tonal balance of the recording, which is particularly acute when listening to acoustic instruments (in particular ones with a wide tonal range, e.g. the organ).

When I listened to my recordings of the Rite of Spring (Gergiev, Kirov orchestra), which has some extraordinary bass drum moments, or the 1812 overture (Dorati, Minneapolis Symphony) with its cannon, the bass was epic, but very tight - so I know it can do bass.

As an aside, I think often we want more bass than is really there in the recording. Additionally, an overemphasis on the lower mid-range (for which, read 'warm', in hi-fi magazine speak) leads to certain acoustic instruments which have few upper partials in the sound (particularly the french horn, harp in the bass clef, clarinet in the chalumeau register) having undue emphasis, while other sounds (e.g. male choral voices, cellos or bassoons, in which frequencies are dominated in the upper midrange, well above the fundamental) are lost in the mix. It was this effect that put me off Primare's i21 CD21 combo - in classical music, especially particularly delicate orchestral soundscapes, it just didn't sound coherent and balanced. When listening to rock, pop etc. these tonal qualities may have some advantages or be less noticeable as a 'problem', but I'm a bit less fussy when listening to other genres.

I suppose it's a matter of taste in the end...

A

Anonymous

Quad's are also fairly bright, so probbaly not a great combo to be fair...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iburnell:
I currently have Denon DM31 and Quad 11L speakers. Now that the new Cyrus CD6 SE is out there are some goods deal on the "old" CD6S, so have just been to Sevenoaks (£399 new) to listen the CD6S + 8VS amp through my Quad speakers

I have to say I was disappointed. Sure there was a whole lot of new detail dug up - particularly midrange and treble, but I found that there was less bass - or it felt less balanced because the music was much more at the top end and I found the treble so forward and bright sometimes it bordered on harshness

Obviously this is my own opinion but I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts. The other kit I aim to listen to is the Arcam Solo Mini which perhaps will give a more "balanced" sound

If that is your opinion, fair enough, but I think the problem here is that you are used to fairly low quality replay. To compare a denon micro with cyrus separates, especially if it includes the 8vs2 ... and prefer the Denon, is, unusual to say the least. Perhaps the 'cyrus sound' is not for you, though they are nowhere as lean as they used to be. You need more exposure to better quality stuff. Have more auditions and when you're done and made a decision, take it away for a home trial.

A

Anonymous

thfcwestlower:Quad's are also fairly bright, so probbaly not a great combo to be fair...
If their the the new quad L2's they can be a little bright with some gear but if there the olds ones they are anything but bright! almost to laid back if you ask me

A

Anonymous

IMO I fully agree with the OP. Cyrus kit doesn't sound tonally balanced to me but I've yet to hear any pre-power offerings so am looking forward to doing so next year. Too much hifi these days seems to sound a tad bright. Perhaps I have tinnitus.

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies - they're really interesting

Whilst I mention what I perceived as a lack of bass that was not a big issue - I felt that the top end had become very dominant - when a female vocalist hits high notes there felt a "siss" to their voices - hard to explain but getting just to the point of uncomfortable to listen to

Also appreciate the Denon is nowhere near the level of this kit - hence the upgrade path - Quad 11L are the original (and more highly rated than the more modern L2) and I don't think they're bright.

Always personal but I want musical to sound detailed, but above all - natural and I just felt the balance was not complete

A

Anonymous

fatboyslimfast:Not if my hearing is anything to go by Igg.. I have tinnitus and it has the opposite effect. Kit that some feel to be bright I find just about right...
...phew, must just be the fluid then...maybe I need to damage my hearing a bit more to find the tonal bliss I want...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts