Cyrus connections

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if theirs anything to gain from connecting my Cyrus 8se cd player to my 8xpd intergrated with a digital lead rather than the anologue interconnects i'm currently using.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

The Cyrus 8XPD amplifier has an inbuilt DAC and you are using that DAC when you are connecting through the Digital cable. Try using both the connections and see if you can find any difference.

A

Anonymous

I have pondered the same thing - I recently bought the Pre XPD with the QX upgrade and wondered if I plugged my CD8SE into the preamp digitally would it sound better than via the analogue inputs?

I was at a Cyrus day in my local dealer last year and I asked him about the DAC's in the amps/pre amps v's the built in DAC in the CD player and he said that although the DAC in the 8XPD/ Pre XPD were the same as the 8DCSE they preferred the sound using the CD players own DAC.

Cyrus claim the QX upgrade is in between the DAC in the CD8SE and the DACXP.

Worth an experiment - If I were you and rather than spend a lot on a coax cable get an optical from Lindy as below

http://www.lindy.co.uk/1m-spdif-digital-optical-cable-toslink-premium-gold/35241.html to see if you like the sound and then invest in a good coax digital.

As an aside I bought a Toslink to mini toslink (Lindy) and played HiRes FLAC 24 bit 48 khz from my Mac laptop through the PreXPD and it was stunning!

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
bfw:

I have pondered the same thing - I recently bought the Pre XPD with the QX upgrade and wondered if I plugged my CD8SE into the preamp digitally would it sound better than via the analogue inputs?

I was at a Cyrus day in my local dealer last year and I asked him about the DAC's in the amps/pre amps v's the built in DAC in the CD player and he said that although the DAC in the 8XPD/ Pre XPD were the same as the 8DCSE they preferred the sound using the CD players own DAC.

Cyrus claim the QX upgrade is in between the DAC in the CD8SE and the DACXP.

Worth an experiment - If I were you and rather than spend a lot on a coax cable get an optical from Lindy as below

http://www.lindy.co.uk/1m-spdif-digital-optical-cable-toslink-premium-gold/35241.html to see if you like the sound and then invest in a good coax digital.

As an aside I bought a Toslink to mini toslink (Lindy) and played HiRes FLAC 24 bit 48 khz from my Mac laptop through the PreXPD and it was stunning!

BFW,

Have you compared the analog output of the CD8SE to the Qx DAC directly in your system at all? I upgraded my 8XPd to the Qx DAC and noticed a considerable difference, on both CD and PC files.

Incidentally, the 8XPdQx is off to Cyrus to become a PreXPdQx. Will be looking for a new power amp (amps?) soon...

Messiah

J.B:
Can anyone tell me if theirs anything to gain from connecting my Cyrus 8se cd player to my 8xpd intergrated with a digital lead rather than the anologue interconnects i'm currently using.

Thanks

When the new range was launched at Bristol a couple of years ago I did ask the Cyrus rep. how the DAC in the amps compared. He said it compared to the one in the 6SE.

So the DAC in your player should be better. Try it both ways and see which you prefer.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for the above answers. I asked the question because I don't have a digital interconnct at present to experiment with so thought i'd call on the voice of experience before parting with any cash. I am in the process of upgrading to seperate pre xpdQX - power amp combo which i'll definately try with digital lead.

A

Anonymous

I have had the Mac plugged into the PreXP via optical and it is fantastic on FLAC 24 bit - I have the Squeezebox connected to the PreXP via optical also but I haven't tried the CD8SE to the PreXP digitally - what cable are you using?

You're upgrading - I found it was cheaper to trade in my Cyrus with my dealer for the next model than sending it back for an upgrade - I paid 900 for my 8Vs2 originally and got a trade in of 700 against the PreXPdQX so it cost me 900 to change!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts