Cyrus CD8SE + PSX-R + 8VS2 + help with speaker choice!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have noticed that What Hi Fi recommends the 8SE CD Player with a Roksan Caspian M-Series I 2-channel integrated amplifier. I would prefer to keep it all in the Cyrus family. I already have the 8SE CD Player and PSX-R and am considering starting a dedicated 2-channel set-up in one of my spare bedrooms.

Speakers? What Hi Fi recommends the sensational Spendor A5, which I am unfortunately not able to audition, because there are no Spendor retailers here in Western Australia.

The bedroom I am considering setting my 2-channel set-up is small; it only measures approximately 3.0 metres long by 2.5 metres wide.

I think that a good stand-mount loudspeaker on good, sturdy loudspeaker stands would be ideal - say, a pair of B&W 805S or ATC SCM19.

Otherwise, I have always preferred floor-standing loudspeakers for their bass extension. I have - on a couple of occasions - auditioned the ProAc Studio 140 and while I have enjoyed their impressive dynamics and beautiful mid-range, the treble can be quite 'bright'. When powered by Musical Fidelity gear, the treble was over-bearing, while when powered by Primare gear, the treble was much better tamed but at higher volume levels was still too pronounced for my liking.

With a Cyrus CD8SE CD Player and 8VS2 as amp, I wonder if it would be a good match for the ProAc's? I am aware that the Cyrus tends to have a slightly 'forward' sound, and I am afraid that the ProAc's enthusiastic top-end might not suit the Cyrus's nature?

Cyrus owner's experiences, please?!

Dan.

A

Anonymous

Someone surely?!

I am considering the Spendor SA1 with their dedicated loudspeaker stands or the A5.

The problem with Spendor over here in Western Australia is that there is no retailer! If I were to go with a Spendor, it would be purchasing blind, paying the full price to get them freighted here, and if I do not like them, I would have to spend hundreds of dollars sending them back for a full refund (at my cost of freight both ways).

There is a retailer of PMC here in Western Australia, though, who actually does in-home demo's, which is a big plus, and I am considering getting an in-home demo of the DB1i, TB2i, and GB1i.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
My partner has her Cyrus 8v2, XPower and 8SE CDP partnered with B&W CM7 speakers and they sound sublime :)

Not sure on your music tastes but i'd say theyre worth a demo as would some of the other B&W speakers CM5's, CM9's, 805's etc...

A

Anonymous

I have the monitor audio RS6s, which are probably too big for your room, but work very well for my taste in music and sound. Might be worth trying the GS10s (or the PL100 if you have lots of cash)?

A

Anonymous

Hi, i have to agree with the choice of the cm7s. They sound very nice and look great too, plus they are'nt to big for the room. I have the cm9s, i think they are fantastic, but maybe a bit big for your room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts