Cyrus 8XPd and possible upgrades?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I bought WHF April issue and WHF Ultimate Guide to Systems today and have been reading about the way the music industry is changing etc, and have found it extremely interesting.

I have also been drooling over all the fantastic looking separates in the mags, and thinking about upgrades.

Now I know that sound is obviously the most important thing in hifi, but for me to live with something for a long time, I have to like how it looks!

And I must say, the Cyrus gear to me looks beautiful. I am considering upgrading my amp later this year, (to something that sounds better AND looks nice, as my NAD; as much as I love it, looks awful IMO). I'm not keen on having too many boxes if I can do the same thing with less, so the new Cyrus 8XPd looks great in my eyes.

Other amps I will consider are Naim Nait 5i, and the Roksan Kandy K2. Obviously I will audition the lot in due course (even though I find the Roksan's appearance ugly).

Anyway is there a review anywhere on the Cyrus 8XPd? It was in the May edition of WHF but no review. I have some questions about the Cyrus stuff too: What are the characteristics of the 'Cyrus sound', I read that the new stuff sounds different too, I am thinking the the 8XPd is a lot of money but you get a DAC and I could sell my DacMagic to support the funds, but how will this DAC compare? And should I consider the older Cyrus stuff? Although I REALLY want all separates to match, so would need a Cyrus Dac eventually anyway....

Some of my favorite artists include: 2pac, Aphex Twin, M.I.A, The Chemical Brothers, Queens of the Stonage, Daft Punk, Chase and Status, so rap, rock, dnb, minimal tech, house and lots of other stuff! So will the Cyrus be good for this kind of music? And what about the Naim?

Also I won't be looking for a CDP, I'll only use my computer. Thanks

manicm

Whether the 8XP's built-in DAC is as good as a DacMagic or others is a burning question. However it can be upgraded to a higher quality one for 400 quid. It's money but it's Cyrus :)

I'm tempted too. And in my mind the 6XP is not worth it if you're going the PC route - as with the optional DAC it's only 200 quid cheaper than the 8, and with the latter you're getting 70w instead of 40w. So for PC the 8's a no brainer, if you're going all Cyrus.

A

Anonymous

Hi,8XPd is £1500, and the 6XP is £900 no? You could always add a power amp or biamp the 6XP but I agree, 40 watts ain't enough for that money! 70 watts is the way forward!

I hope the DAC is as good, (or better), but it's gonna take some beating, I think the DacMagic is very very good.

A

Anonymous

Well the 6XP has no DAC - it can be upgraded to include a DAC for £400 so that makes it £900 + £400 = £1,300 vs £1,500 for the 8XP which has a DAC right from the start.

As to the quality of the DAC its difficult to say as Cyrus claim that the DAC-X or the DAC-XP is still Cyrus best DAC. The DAC in the new amps can be upgraded with the Q module but should still be outperformed by the older DACs.

So: DAC in new integrated amps

The new integrated amps are however supposed to be better than the old integrateds benefiting from the tech developed for the more powerful power amps.

There are no reviews yet as the amps aren't out. Some dealers have received pre productions examples though and have had a chance to have a listen.

A

Anonymous

Given Cyrus' track record of digital products the DAC will no doubt be good. However, I suspect they won't want it to tread on the toes of the CDPs and DACXP...

manicm

Eddie Pound:Given Cyrus' track record of digital products the DAC will no doubt be good. However, I suspect they won't want it to tread on the toes of the CDPs and DACXP...

Out of the box no, but the 400 quid dac upgrade for the 8xp I think will bring it up to DacXP grade.

A

Anonymous

Is this an additional £400 to the original 8 XP d? Like the Q upgrades of old CD players?

Can a PSXR be further added?

I still don't think it will be quite DAC XP but most of the sound of a DACXP with 8 Power?

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:
Is this an additional £400 to the original 8 XP d? Like the Q upgrades of old CD players?

Can a PSXR be further added?

I still don't think it will be quite DAC XP but most of the sound of a DACXP with 8 Power?

Yes it's ANOTHER 400, so £1900 all together! And yes it can have a psxr.... expensive all in all but I can't wait to hear it, I hope it performs how I want it to as I really would like this system (eventually).

A

Anonymous

If you have NAD and like it, and look to spend that much in future, then be sure to consider NAD's flagship range too. It's very good.

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:If you have NAD and like it, and look to spend that much in future, then be sure to consider NAD's flagship range too. It's very good.

Unfortunately, as I said at the top, I have to like how it looks, (especially for this kind of serious money), and really the only thing I like the look of is the Cyrus kit, and Naim but not as much.... yes I know it's about the sound but hey, I'M FUSSY!

Although I do like the NAD sound, but I have only heard a few amps in my life so I might like Cyrus' sound a lot more! (I hope)

A

Anonymous

Have you seen NAD Masterclass and Silverline in the flesh..?

A

Anonymous

Messiah:
I have spoken to a Cyrus rep about the quality of the standard DAC in the new amps and he told me it was comparable to the DAC in the CD6SE.

Sounds fair.

WahWahWeeks

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I have upgraded my Cyrus 8xpd QX and four separate boxes - X Power, Stream X, and two PSX-Rs.

The result is good! Using my old Linn Keilidh speakers. I want to upgrade these soon,

but also wondering how to upgrade the amplifier further?

i think I have hit a dead-end?

WahWahWeeks

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I have upgraded my Cyrus 8xpd QX and four separate boxes - X Power, Stream X, and two PSX-Rs.

The result is good! Using my old Linn Keilidh speakers. I want to upgrade these soon,

WahWahWeeks

May 8, 2012
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts