admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In market for new amp to work with my Cyrus 8SE cdp and Spendor S5e's using Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cable.

I have approx £600 in the budget but possibly more! Music wise I am into anything really except heavy rock, do favour vocals and classics but also have a great time with the likes of Lady GaGa and 80's/90's pop.

So should I play safe and go with an 8vs2 (I've seen plenty used for approx £500) or seek something else out? I realise that for my budget I am probably not going to get new so the difficulty will be buying without demo with my kit. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have the Cyrus/Spendor set up - what amp are you using?

Cheers
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

If you can stretch to £900 I would suggest trying the Roksan Kandy K2. I heard it on Sat with the Spendor A6s and thought it did a much better job than the Arcam A38. Very good amp for the cash.

A

Anonymous

The 8vs2 is a lovely amp and will gel well with the spendors and it is in the same league as the K2, it will really be down to your own taste.

psej71:

In market for new amp to work with my Cyrus 8SE cdp and Spendor S5e's using Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cable.

I have approx £600 in the budget but possibly more! Music wise I am into anything really except heavy rock, do favour vocals and classics but also have a great time with the likes of Lady GaGa and 80's/90's pop.

So should I play safe and go with an 8vs2 (I've seen plenty used for approx £500) or seek something else out? I realise that for my budget I am probably not going to get new so the difficulty will be buying without demo with my kit. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have the Cyrus/Spendor set up - what amp are you using?

Cheers
emotion-1.gif

You're not playing safe - sonically - with the 8VS2 (if you catch my drift!
emotion-5.gif
). I heard the Cyrus with my Arcam set-up and it sounded impressive, especially with vocals. It's also a perfect match for the CDP and the Spendors quite like them too.

A

Anonymous

Loads of Cyrus users have Spendors, should be an excellent match.

A

Anonymous

I think you'll be very happy with the 8vs2. Personally I would steer clear of the Kandy, I recently replaced mine with an 8vs2 and the difference is amazing. It was as if the speakers were under a blanket with the Kandy, and now everything is crystal clear. As you can see from my sig, I don't have the same source and speakers as you, so you should demo. I think you will get one in your price range ex-demo, Sevenoaks are selling them for £600.00, presuming they have some left, and I'm sure will let you have a listen.

Let us know what you go for in the end.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have the 8vs2 with the baby brothers to your spendors, and it works a treat. The sound is spot on. Buy the amp with confidence and you will have a great system

Wjat you can do is also buy a PSX-R, as this adds to the overall sound. I was sceptical before I had it, but now it makes sense. Even the GF was happy with the 2 new shoe boxes, as she put it.

Phil

A

Anonymous

igglebert:If you can stretch to £900 I would suggest trying the Roksan Kandy K2. I heard it on Sat with the Spendor A6s and thought it did a much better job than the Arcam A38. Very good amp for the cash.

Hi Igglebert

Thanks for your input. Regrettably I wouldn't be able to stretch to £900. I was talking to my retailer and he said that the K2 was indeed a great sounding amp but says it gives a little away to the Cyrus amps (but is he impartial...hhmm not sure!) I know that WHF seem to recommend it with Cyrus CDP's and at least with a new K2 I would be able to demo it - unlike a used 8vs2. hhmm...decisions decisions...

A

Anonymous

Brisk:The 8vs2 is a lovely amp and will gel well with the spendors and it is in the same league as the K2, it will really be down to your own taste.

Hey Brisk

Are you referring to the aestetics of the K2? I would say that it is a little "non mainstream" looking, but then again you could say that about the shoebox sized Cyrus kit....

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your input, seems like the general consensus is the Cyrus will work great with my gear....it seems a shame that I can't hear it with my kit at home before I commit, but then again I am sure it will be a great improvement over my 1! So I should be overly worried really...should I?????????!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

shuggieb:
I think you'll be very happy with the 8vs2. Personally I would steer clear of the Kandy, I recently replaced mine with an 8vs2 and the difference is amazing. It was as if the speakers were under a blanket with the Kandy, and now everything is crystal clear. As you can see from my sig, I don't have the same source and speakers as you, so you should demo. I think you will get one in your price range ex-demo, Sevenoaks are selling them for £600.00, presuming they have some left, and I'm sure will let you have a listen.

Let us know what you go for in the end.

Hi Shuggieb

That's improved my confidence for sure......thanks for your input. I take it the £600 is for a new 8vs2? I'll take a look at their site. Would be really great if I could listen to it...here I was thinking I wouldn't get the chance before I bought it.

I see you have a Denon DAB? How does it sound? I was thinking of getting the Cyrus one but it seems very expensive (especially as the longevity of DAB seems in doubt). Do you know if the Denon DAB+ compatible?

A

Anonymous

potboyslim:
Hi,

I have the 8vs2 with the baby brothers to your spendors, and it works a treat. The sound is spot on. Buy the amp with confidence and you will have a great system

Wjat you can do is also buy a PSX-R, as this adds to the overall sound. I was sceptical before I had it, but now it makes sense. Even the GF was happy with the 2 new shoe boxes, as she put it.

Phil

Hi Phil

Thanks for your advice. I do have a PSX-R on my CDP and it did seem to make a sonic difference....I hear that it is better to leave it on the CDP rather than transfer it to the amp.....but I suppose I could look for a good used example to connect to the amp...

Cheers mate

Paul
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts