Cyrus 1, Arcam 0

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Went in for some interconnects for my old Arcam Delta 280 Tuner but........

I ended up upgrading my old Arcam Delta 90 amp to a Cyrus 6 vs2 amp. The change in sound quality between the two is like chalk and cheese. It was a panic buy, but at £450 I believe great value. I have paired this with my Cyrus 6s (4 months old and £400 new!). Absolutely stunning and I consider quality on the cheap!.

A few questions though:

1) Are my Aged Mission 751's a good match for the system. I think they sound great, but have a feeling that I should upgrade sometime in the future...any suggestions/comments

2) I am connecting my CD via a QED Reference Audio Evolution cable - Cost £80. Is this man enough for the job or should I be going for something better?

3) Practical HiFi suggested I consider possibly upgrading my Cyrus 6s to the SE as my next hifi upgrade. That's a pricey upgrade, but any advice from anybody who has done this would be appreciated.

thanks

Pete

matthewpiano

Are you happy with the sound??

If so, I'd leave well alone for a while. Feeling like you 'should' upgrade your speakers, or being told that you 'should' upgrade the CD player to CD6SE are not reasons to upgrade.

If it sounds right as it is, don't feel like you 'have' to change anything.

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Mathewpiano

I do tend to agree with you regarding the real need for an upgrade. After a week of listening to my Cd's to see how they sound with my new amp i'm still totally blown away by the difference.

Only problem is, I'm not listening to favourite tracks for more than a few minutes each, as I'm crashing through my collection to see how good they all now sound.....I need to slow down a bit and listen to my favourites properly.

They only upgrade I may consider is an upgrade to the QED cable. Does anybody think it'd really make any difference and at what spec/cost would I notice a reasonable improvement.

Having switched my 13 year old Arcam system to Cyrus over the last 6 months, I know I have stepped up a notch, but the improvement is collossal.

There seems to be a lot of posts in these forums regarding upgrades from older decent quality gear to new. It seems to be of interest to a lot of us. I think old vs new systems article would go down a treat in the magazine. Maybe something about ebay purchases as good value as well......what do you think folks?

Mathew is right - but the fundamental problem regarding older speakers (5 years plus) is I'm not sure whether you would get the synergy with Cyrus, unless you spend a shed-load of money. The Cyrus needs very careful matching due to some brightness.

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
My old Missions are in great nick -not a mark on them. They were mothballed for about 8 years and were never really tested at volume. I'll stick with them for a while.

However, If I do eventually decide to upgrade again, I don't fancy lugging them to my local hifi shop for a comparison test. What would be a comparable speaker to this in the current marketplace, and more importantly what does everybody else with this level of Cyrus kit use that they are happy with?

Any thoughts on whether the QED Reference Audio Evolution cable is a suitable interconnect between my Cyrus kit?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts