Creek Tuner Module for Evolution 50a

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Given the excellent range of digital inputs (especially the two optical inputs) on the Creek 50CD and the flexibility of the 50A amplifier (with Ambit tuner module), they could almost tempt me - as a pair - as an upgrade from my M-CR603.

If only I could get away with stacking them (amp on top with a very short interconnect between them) I think they would look quite pretty together.

As a pair they are about the right price. (ie. At least £1100 less than a Naim Uniti 2 even allowing for the Ambit tuner module.)

I just might have to have a long think.

As the 50CD is not a top-loader I can think of no reason why it shouldn't be stacked with amp above. I don't think the amp runs that hot.

Should be quite an upgrade from the 603 and it certainly looks the part. Have not yet had the opportunity to hear the 50CD with the amp but from all reviews it should make a stunning combo.

Raid the piggy bank chebby. :grin:

ela-ted

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Given the excellent range of digital inputs (especially the two optical inputs) on the Creek 50CD and the flexibility of the 50A amplifier (with Ambit tuner module), they could almost tempt me - as a pair - as an upgrade from my M-CR603.

Looking round for options to upgrade from the M-CR610 with an emphasis on radio and ease of use and this does look interesting. Having tasted streaming I would like to be able to do that as well - what would you suggest, preferably with Airplay?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
As the 50CD is not a top-loader I can think of no reason why it shouldn't be stacked with amp above. I don't think the amp runs that hot.

Should be quite an upgrade from the 603 and it certainly looks the part. Have not yet had the opportunity to hear the 50CD with the amp but from all reviews it should make a stunning combo.

I have subsequently discovered that I will not require two 'boxes'.

The forthcoming Ruby DAC plug-in module will also have the FM 'Ambit' tuner built-in...

"Coming soon, the RUBY plug-in DAC module also replaces Line Input 5. When available, it will add 2 x SPDIF, 2 x TOSLINK, USB, Bluetooth and FM radio inputs to the existing 4 line inputs."

So I will save the purchase price of the Evolution 50CD (minus the cost of the Ruby DAC module which, as yet, is unknown) and end up with one box. (I don't really need the CD transport.)

The Ruby DAC module will take about 3 - 4 months until it's ready to go on sale, but I am ok about waiting that long.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Al ears said:

I have subsequently discovered that I will not require two 'boxes'.

The forthcoming Ruby DAC plug-in module will also have the FM 'Ambit' tuner built-in...

"Coming soon, the RUBY plug-in DAC module also replaces Line Input 5. When available, it will add 2 x SPDIF, 2 x TOSLINK, USB, Bluetooth and FM radio inputs to the existing 4 line inputs."

So I will save the purchase price of the Evolution 50CD (minus the cost of the Ruby DAC module which, as yet, is unknown) and end up with one box. (I don't really need the CD transport.)

The Ruby DAC module will take about 3 - 4 months until it's ready to go on sale, but I am ok about waiting that long.

The extremely sketchy information on the RUBY module, suggests, as you quote above, FM radio inputs.

Do you have more info or are you assuming that this refers to an Ambit module?

Interesting never the less........ 8)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The Ruby DAC module will include an FM tuner.

You can see the FM co-axial 75 Ohm aerial input on the back...

ruby_zps0b069484.jpg

John Duncan

This is genius btw. One box (the expensive bit) that can have additional functionality added at a fraction of the price of a dedicated unit (£400-odd for the previous EVO tuner, god knows what a DAC might cost...). No wires, no faff. It's almost like having active speakers...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
This is genius btw. One box (the expensive bit) that can have additional functionality added at a fraction of the price of a dedicated unit (£400-odd for the previous EVO tuner, god knows what a DAC might cost...). No wires, no faff. It's almost like having active speakers...

Additionally (if you are of a more traditional 'bent') you can add their Sequel 2 MM/MC phono pre-amp board as well as an Ambit FM/AM module (or Ruby DAC when it becomes available).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
The Ruby DAC module will include an FM tuner.

You can see the FM co-axial 75 Ohm aerial input on the back...

ruby_zps0b069484.jpg

Excellent, thanks for the info.......

Now, is that a Dab aerial and a network socket.......... :?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Nice looking and flexible little amplifier. Pre-outs also mean that a more potent one could be stowed away somewhere.

Not sure what happened to Leema but perhaps they were missing something like this, an affordable all-rounder. - Their Element series wasn't exactly cheap.

I have a feeling this one will put Creek on the radar for many first time buyers of 'serious' hifi.

regards

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I've recentently been considering the Creek Evo 50 as either a replacemement for my old amp or for a new system in another room. It seems to gave excellent reviews and there is a dealer close to where I live. I'm not interested in an FM tuner but if it had the option of a music streamer and Internet radio I'd probably make an effort and go and audition it tomorrow.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just read a test report from a german publication.

They gave it very good marks. In comparison to the older EVO it was deemed different rather than better sonically. More agile but bass slightly thin in comparison. Of course the older amplifier doesn't nearly has the versatility.

regards

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I contacted Creek a few weeks ago regarding the new Ruby DAC having watched a Facebook link from CES2014 on the Creek website. Although nothing definite had been decided, whomever I spoke to thought that the Ruby DAC would retail at around the £400-£500 mark.

It's well worth logging on the Creek website to watch that link. The new Epos speakers look good too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts