Counting Crows...

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Counting Crows Across A Wire Live In New York City (Disc 1)- VH1 Storytellers

Fabulous live album which is mainly accoustic rather than electric. Seems well recorded / produced. Lovely warm, rich bass which envelopes you along with piano / acordion / guitar / etc. Never found anyone else who owns this CD yet either! This version of Angels of the Silences is awesome!

Any takers?

A

Anonymous

have got this album mate its great. absolutly love the live version of have you seen me lately much better than album version

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I have been listening to Counting Crows since I got August and Everything in '93 but I have taken my eye off the ball.

Can I assume that this live album is a recommended addition even if you have all the studio albums?

I ask as I generally find live recordings a dissappointment (even if I was at the recorded gig) with the exception of Live and Dangerous by Thin Lizzy.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Double Post
smiley-embarassed.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
DavieCee said:
I have been listening to Counting Crows since I got August and Everything in '93 but I have taken my eye off the ball.

Can I assume that this live album is a recommended addition even if you have all the studio albums?

I ask as I generally find live recordings a dissappointment (even if I was at the recorded gig) with the exception of Live and Dangerous by Thin Lizzy.

Oh, absolutely. It's from 1998, so includes the songs from 'August....' and 'Recovering the satellites'. It's a double disc jobbie: as previously mentioned, one disc is the recording of their VH1 'Storytellers' show, and is acoustic. The other disc is a live recording of a concert and is all electric. Both discs are really, really strong.

I've seen them live and Adam always plays around with the melodies and timings of his vocals, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Happily, it works every time on these cds. The version of 'Round Here' on the electric disc is a real stand-out track for me, as is 'Children in bloom'.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Nice to know they do something different live. For some acts, Bryan Ferry is a prime example, I would have been as well staying home and listening to the CD.

I don't know if they have played where I have been living/working but no publicity if they have. I must pay more attention
smiley-embarassed.gif
and that applies to all bands.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've got all the albums (studio and live) from Counting Crows. I think August and Everything is the best studio IMHO. If I could only have one album though, it'd probably be Across a Wire. For a live album, I find the accuracy and quality of the band phenominal. I've seen Counting Crows live twice and can honestly say it wasn't as good as this CD (usually recording live sessions shows the flaws you don't hear when you're in a shed with 2000 other people all screaming along butin this cse, it's the other way round). The 2nd CD (Unplugged) is more electric where as the VH1 is more accoustic. Although some tracks are on both CDs (and studio albums), I feel this double CD offers some significantly different versions so is well worth a punt.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
DavieCee said:
I don't know if they have played where I have been living/working but no publicity if they have. I must pay more attention
smiley-embarassed.gif
and that applies to all bands.

There's a distinct lack of fanfare whenever they come over here to play, and it's easy to miss them. Here's what I did: set up an account on the Ticketmaster website. On the site, you can make a list of your favourite artists or bands. Whenever any of these favourites are due to play near you, the site send you an alert via email. It's a useful little service.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I had a listen - Spotify is our friend
smiley-wink.gif
- and it was interesting and I may well take a punt.

In this style of music though, I have to say that I still prefer The Tragically Hip. That may be something for you to look up on Spotify
smiley-tongue-out.gif

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
DavieCee said:
Thanks guys. I had a listen - Spotify is our friend
smiley-wink.gif
- and it was interesting and I may well take a punt.

In this style of music though, I have to say that I still prefer The Tragically Hip. That may be something for you to look up on Spotify
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Love the Tragically Hip..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts