Could I get Some Advice?

Colactix

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi There :wave: , im new to the world of hi-fi. I bought myself a project debut carbon, mission 771 speakers. but i think i made a mistake on the amp and bought a cambridge audio a1 which i dont think is powerful enough for the speakers as i cant get much volume. What do you guys think?

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Project Debut Carbon is a turntable isn't it?

Cambridge A1 will not work without a seperate Phono amplifier to boost the signal from the cartridge.

Try connecting a CD player or other source with "line level" output and you might find the volume is OK then

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Can you take the amp back and exchange it, if not then a phono amp will be the answer, they are not that expensive, WHF has a group test of ones around £100 this month.

Colactix

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's a turntable, i thought the cambridge A1 had a phono amp integrated, but if it doesent then thats probaly tha answer. Although if it didn't have one, would it work at all becasue it plays just not as loud as i would like it?

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Yeah looks like an option... from the manual:
"Aux/PhonoConnect any 'line level' source equipment to these sockets i.e. CD player
or DAB tuner. Alternatively a turntable can be connected, but first aphono stage must be installed. Please contact your Cambridge Audiodealer who can supply and install a phono stage to your amplifier. These inputs are for analog audio signals only. They should not be connectedto the digital output of a CD player or any other digital device."

Colactix

May 23, 2013
Visit site
visionary said:
Yeah looks like an option... from the manual:
"Aux/PhonoConnect any 'line level' source equipment to these sockets i.e. CD player
or DAB tuner. Alternatively a turntable can be connected, but first aphono stage must be installed. Please contact your Cambridge Audiodealer who can supply and install a phono stage to your amplifier. These inputs are for analog audio signals only. They should not be connectedto the digital output of a CD player or any other digital device."

Ok i understand, just becasue it has a phono input, does not mean it has an in built phono amp? So i would need to buy something like a Pro-ject phono box?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
You can test by plugging the turntable into one of the line inputs - CD,for example, something like that - and see if that has any effect on the sound. If is makes it dramatically quieter, then your phono input has a phono stage. It it has no effect, then you'll need to buy a phono preamp .

If you don't have a phono input you can buy a phono preamplifier from Richer Sounds for not much money.

Colactix

May 23, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
You can test by plugging the turntable into one of the line inputs - CD,for example, something like that - and see if that has any effect on the sound. If is makes it dramatically quieter, then your phono input has a phono stage. It it has no effect, then you'll need to buy a phono preamp .

If you don't have a phono input you can buy a phono preamplifier from Richer Sounds for not much money.

Ok i did that and the soud is the exact same level as when its plugged into the AUX/Phono input, so that means i need a phono preamp and do i need any more cables? :cry:

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
"
A1 Integrated Amplifier
With a power output of 25 watts, the entry-level A1 Amplifier has been one of Cambridge Audio's most popular models to date. The A1 offers five inputs, Tape Return and one line input, enabling an optional phono stage to be connected. Available in a black finish."

Hence, pick up a £50 preamp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts