Considering tubes...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all

Ive been building up a modest system for myself over the last couple months - currently I'm using the rega p6 with bundled cart into the marantz 8004 integrated.

My question is - would I benefit from a tube phono preamp? The marantz has a power amp mode, so I would think this would be the preferred method of connection to the integrated, in order to bypass the phono stage in the marantz?

I was thinking maybe the pro-ject se ii? It seems to universally get great reviews and is within my price range of $700ish

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

A

Anonymous

I'm sorry that I'm not answering your question since I have a question for you. My question do you find the Marantz stock phono stage to be lacking? I'm having a hard time choosing between the Marantz 8004 and the Rega Brio-R. I'll be using the phono section 99% of the time, so I'd love to know which is the better option for phono. I might just have to audition both to find what works in my system.

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I only suggest this because it is based on the phono stage in my preamp, but the Jolida JD-9 seems to get very good reviews too, and ought to be within your price range (if memory serves...). And I think it's great - far better than the Yaqin MS 12-B I had before. The Jolida is probably bigger than the project, but has the advantage of being the right size to fit under your turntable (unless it's a particularly odd size/shape!).

To lifeis11 all I can say is it will change the sound. Whether you will perceive that as a benefit will depend on whether it changes it in a way that appeals to you.

But more importantly, it will only replace the phono stage, so would not feed direct into the power amp as the volume would then not be controllable - that being a function of the Maratz's pre-amp section. So you'd have to plug the Pro-ject into an aux input, as intended.

http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/en/manual/manual_tubebox.pdf

You really need to try it, but I suspect you'd get more improvement elsewhere - say from a high output moving coil cartridge.

TRENDING THREADS