Connecting stereo amp to av amp few questions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi only just started looking in to this but from what i understand you connect the pre outs on my onkyo to a spare input on my stereo amp if this is correct i have a couple of questions main problem being my other half prefers the music in multichannel if i connect my source in to the onkyo and i had the onk set to stereo would it just pass it through to the primare? I understand i could just connect my source to the primare and but would prefer not to buy another phono for this as well as connecting it to the onkyo. Also i read a few times now that connecting the pre outs on the onkyo puts out a weak signal which can be a problem with some amps is this true? Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I can't answer everything except that, the whole point of using the pre-outs with a stereo amp is to improve the stereo performance. So, if you are using a stereo source (e.g. a CD player), this should be hooked up to the stereo amp, not the AV amp. With the front stereo speakers connected to the stereo amp, it means this 3 way partnership works without any interference from your AV setup, thus ensuring musical performance is at its optimum (assuming the stereo components exceed those of the AV amp).

If you're looking at getting multichannel music though, you would need to have your source (e.g. CD player) and your front speakers connected to the AV amp. This therefore completely negates the need for the stereo amp. If you need this, you're better off concentrating on getting a decent performance from the AV amp rather than trying to use pre-outs.

N.B.- I see you are using the Onkyo 905, I have that amp too and found the musical performance in Pure Audio mode was greatly increased by using a decent power supply. I set up Tacimas and a Clearer Audio Copper-Line Alpha cable into my amp and i found the Pure Audio performance exceeded the Stereo performance (there's a thread on the forums somewhere which explains it!). Just a thought.

A

Anonymous

Ok so i guess the only way round me wanting stereo sound and her wanting the multichannel music is to run one output from my source to the av amp for her then one output from the source to my stereo amp and switch between the two whoever is listening.Then in the usual way when watching movies the av amp controls the centre rears and sub and the stereo amp runs the fronts?ÿ

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi... in a nutshell yes. But if you're talking about physically unplugging/plugging the interconnects on your source to swap between stereo/multi-channel then I'm not sure that's a good idea - depending ob how often you do that you could find the plugs on the interconnects getting damaged over time.ÿ

I'm lucky in that I have both analogue and digital outs on my CD player, but having said that have not listened to the CDP thru the Onk since plugging it in... that's what the iPod & dock is for (particularly good when you've had a couple of glasses of wine
emotion-5.gif
ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi no i wont be unplugging plugging in got my dacmagic turn up today so will connect my sonos to that then that to my amp see how that improves things not sure how i will connect it to each amp as theres only one phono so probably that in to the primare im guessing!ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts