Connecting Blu-ray to Supernait

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
I watch all movie and TV content through my Yamaha YSP-2200, so my Panasonic Blu-ray is connected via HDMI into the back of the soundbar, which is generally excellent. However, for the occasional music programme I'd prefer to listen via my hi-fi amp and speakers. Can I confirm that the best way to do this would be to connect the Blu-ray to one of the digital inputs of the Supernait (or should I use phono connections?), and then mute the soundbar if using that method of listening.

I just can't quite get my head round this one, so any help would be gratefully received.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Assuming by 'the occasional music programme' you mean content on Blu-ray, then yes, you can connect the BD player to the Supernait provided you always remember to set the music track selection to PCM on the disc menu, or (if your player allows) set the S/PDIF digital output of the BD player to default to two-channel PCM.

Otherwise, you could get nasty noises from the hi-fi system if the amp's digital section gets hit with a DD or DTS HD soundtrack, which it won't be able to decode.

Alternatively, you could just use the stereo analogue outs on the BD player

If you want to watch 'the occasional music programme' from the TV. then you'll need a digital (or analogue) connection from the TV to the Supernait, too.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks! Yes, I realised about the PCM 2-channel output. I might just go for a straightforward phono connection to keep things simple. I assume I just then mute the soundbar or do I need to select the output on the Blu-ray player in each case, depending on which system I want to listen to?

TRENDING THREADS